WIP- Driftwood spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIP- Driftwood spirit

Well here is another on I am working on, getting ready for my display next month at our county Library. Do not what kind of wood, but it is very Hard!
    Thanks for looking!
    GaryMc Talking

Re: WIP- Driftwood spirit

That is a wonderful pc of wood. It will make a beautiful spirt. Please post the finished work.

Comment

That is a nice hunk of wood and I trust that it is a hard one too! I don't believe that I've ever found a piece of good driftwood that wasn't somewhat like concrete... even the pines.

I didn't see any hint of a bench vise or mounting devise in the picture. I was wondering if you are carving it with or without any support? Enquiring minds wanna know :-)

Thanks for sharing and look forward to the progress.
      Dave Brock

Comment

Yep Gary, that is a fine piece of wood and equally a fine start on the spirit.

Comment

Looking great so far, you have some nice looking tools there too.

Comment

Thumbs Up Hi Gary your woodspirit is looking really good. I like the flow of the hair really graceful. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful show at the library and lots of admirers of your work.
            Kathy

Comment

Hello and thanks for the kind comments. The wood is very hard, it is also very dark on the surface and then almost yellow as I go deeper, I wish I knew what kind it is. Yes Lightning it is on a Wilton positioner, it just doesn't show in the picture. I used mallet tools to rough it out cause it is Hard! hehe. Anyway hope to finish is soon, I carve on it a few hours and quit for awhile. Also working on 3 branch guys, a Santa, a irish guy (or viking) and one I don't what he is yet guy. Thanks again for the comments!
              GaryMc Talking

Comment

Retry -

That looks great! Does the wood smell of pitch pine? It looks like the "lightern knots" we used to collect for fire starter wood. They were the concentrated sapwood that was left after a pine tree rotted away from around it. They were very hard (almost brittle) and yellowish in color. Just a thought -

Mike

Comment

Nice job Retry. I wonder if it isn't a peice of hedge wood it is usually a yellow or orange inside. Is it a real heavy peice of wood.
                  Ron

Comment

Great looking piece Gray. I hope that you post more pictures. I'd like to see it when it's done.

Dylan

Comment

Beautiful grain and you have used it so well with the way the hair flows. Great job. I also, would like to see more pictures as you progress.
                      Thor
                      Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X