carving a rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carving a rope

im making a basket for my wifes knitting supplies its out of oak and ive got about a week invested mainly starting with a log and hollowing it out. I am at the stage where I don't want to mess it up and want to carve a rope for the handle. I looked at google and saw some schematics for carving a rope but if anyone has any tips Im all ears. Right now the plan is to make diagonal indents about every 3/4 of a inch and then make the little rope lines with a v tool> I plan on going maybe 3.8 deep on the diagonals.

Re: carving a rope

rickm: you need to have words with copeau and/of JJF. Those French guys know how to do this.
    Brian T

Comment

Maybe you can adapt this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV5rWhd1vuc

Comment

I find that having a real piece of rope next to me for reference, while I'm carving rope, I get less confused. Make sure your wood is marked well and that all of your cuts go the same way/direction, in a "S" shape, rather than a straight cut. Works for me.

Good luck.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

for a handle would you carve it all the way around or just the top where its seen?

Comment

Here is a spiral I made about a year ago. First steps is very similar to carving a rope. The first page and maybe some of the second may be the most applicable.

(link deleted - site was not trustworthy)

re the shape of the handle, it depends on how comfortable you are with this. If the handle a curved arc, the layout may be a bit tricky, but would look nice. Or that is a bit much to tackle without some practice, maybe go with the straight handle held by two supports.

One tip - rope typically has three strands, so carve the rope part of the handle round before you do the layout. And like someone mentioned, buy a foot or two of 7/16 or 1/2" rope so you can manipulate and see what the manipulations do to the strands.

ps: the pdf will disappear from the fileshare server in 7 days
            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

I tried your download but it wanted to install toolbars and stuff so I canceled it. But you made some good points thank.s

Comment

im thinking of two strands that weave together I would make my lfie a lot easier with one big one so we'll see how it goes when I begin laying it out.

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
                  I tried your download but it wanted to install toolbars and stuff so I canceled it. But you made some good points thank.s
                  Oh man. I don't blame you. I did not like the upload experience either. I think I found an alternative and will give it a try tomorrow morning.
                  HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Well, I find that everything is set up through my experimentation earlier today, so here it is on Google Drive Carving A Spiral.PDF. Please give me feedback as I search for a good way to transfer files without hassle.

I use GMail and Google and several Google addons, so I have more faith in them than my first attempt that would self-erase in 7 days.
                    HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

And as a matter of fact, if you were hassled with the first attempt and I don't remember being hassled as the uploader, I think it is time for me to do a system scan for scamware, spamware, spyware, malware, etc. I am sorry for the original inconvenience and my lack of research into that site before I chose it.
                      HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
                        for a handle would you carve it all the way around or just the top where its seen?
                        I'd carve it all way around, if possible. Undercutting at the sides also gives the rope a look of 3D, it stands out from the background!

Bob
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

my plan is to carve two strands that weave around so Im spending a lot of time pondering and trying to get the layout right.

Comment

Working...
                          X