Chip carved illusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chip carved illusion

Here (at last) is some actual progress. I've started chip carving this plate, BUT being a contrary sort of person, I'm using a #3F-16mm fishtail gouge. Yes I'm still using a knife for the stop cuts, but the slicing cuts are made with the gouge, with the side edge aligned with the adjoining chip.

Comment

The bands between the chip carved squares seem to invite an over-and-under weave pattern. This could be emphasized by a v-groove in the center of each band which would disappear as it went under the crossing bands.

Comment

You seem able to get your head around these things quite well. I would be absolutely lost for sure. The one you did of the labrynth blew me away. Well done so far, looking forward to the finished item.

Comment

OMG Phil!!! That's alot of work.... I once tried carving light at the edge of a black hole to see what happens.... WELL! so much for that!.... I sure hope you don't get optically illuded.... Heheheh! Thanks for the WIP Phil!!!

Comment

Well, I roughly figure there are 389 rectangles (or partial rectangles on the edges) in this design. Each has eight triangular chips (or less for partials), so the total is about 3100 chips.
            I have discovered that chip carving with a fishtail gouge works well. I make stop cuts with a knife. Then, aligning the side of the gouge with the direction of the cut, I push the gouge to the stop cut while keeping the cutting edge moving along the other side of the triangle.
            I tried to show this cut in these photos, but they're too blurred. I'll try again.

Question - In the second photo, does center bulge toward you? How about the 3rd photo?

Comment

I timed myself on a series of the central rectangles - 40 chips in 15 minutes. At this rate the complete carving will take about 20 hours - much less than it took me to figure out the design! Some of the chips near the edge of the distortion will take longer, even though they are smaller (and distorted).

Comment

Definitely see the bulge clearly in the second photo. Looking awesome!

Comment

Wow. That is completely amazing!

Comment

Fantastic Phil
                    waiting now for chip carving

Shakey

Comment

Shakey - I really like the woodturnings at your (Mike's) site. The goblet with the off-center stem especially caught my eye!
                      Doing this chip carving with a fishtail gouge is much easier on my 80-year-old hands. It uses the muscles of my arms and shoulders and puts less strain on my finger and wrist joints.

Comment

Awesome carving Phil

Comment

Here some hopefully better photos of chip carving with a gouge.The last photo shows that the illusion goes away (for some) if the carvings is illuminated from the side like I usually do. (Oops, the last photo is the whole plate.)

Comment

Some further comments - In the close-up photos there is some raggedness. I'm still learning the process of gouge chip carving, but even my knife work requires some clean-up. If I do the basket weave on the band separations, it may nick some corners that will require clean-up.
                            You may wonder about using a #3 sweep for this. Why a curved gouge for cutting flat surfaces? The curve is not noticeable and actually makes the edges of triangles crisper.
                            Oh, one more thing: My guiding hand (not shown) is holding the gouge just behind the cutting edge.

Comment

That is so cool. I can't wait to see it finished.

Comment

Continuing to make progress with this gouge-cut chip carving. Now that I am getting to the highly distorted parts of this piece, some of the angles are too acute for the fishtail gouge. If the angle at the bottom of a chip exceeds the angle at the corner of the gouge, I have to finish it with a pointed knife.

Comment

Working...
                                X