• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chip carved illusion

do you have a pattern for this ?

Comment

I had only the photo attached to the first post in this thread. But, as I discovered, the photo cannot be simply enlarged to fit a 12" plate blank. The distorted part has to fit the recess in the plate blank.

Comment

Phil,

Once again you have outdone yourself!
        I can hardly wait to see the finished piece.

You are a true craftsman, draftsman & artist.
        Thank you for bringing us all along for the ride!

Russ L.

Comment

Thanks Russ L. You're one of my biggest fans! I'll have to carve "Relativity" someday, just for you.

Comment

Here's a recent progress photo. Actually, I've finished all of the cuts in the center (distorted) section, but this includes less than 1/3 of the total! Except for changing the clamp position I can do all of the cuts without changing my body position - all of the slicing cuts are with the grain. I am quite adept at using a gouge toward or away from me.

Comment

Here's the center section complete except for the tiny cuts in the curve of the plate recess. Some of those tiny areas are end grain.

Comment

That's great. My eye refuses to see it as a flat plate.

Comment

is scary how good an illusion you can create, making you see things that are not the way they seem. Well done so far!

Comment

man you got some patience and diligence. Laying that out must hav ebeen a nightmare

Comment

Thanks Rickm, and "Yes" it was difficult to lay out this pattern. It might be easiest to size the photo so that the distorted center part matches the recess on your plate blank, then add the pattern of squares on the rim.
                      I started with the rim pattern and determined that the center square of the distorted part is twice as big. Then, how do you figure the spacing between the two sizes? I "eyeballed it" and made templates to draw the curves. It involved several false starts.

Comment

I'm now a third the way around the rim. The squares are 3/8" across, so the chips are pretty small. But the real challenge are the distorted rectangles at the edge of the plate recess. Starting to remove remaining lines where the chip carving is done.

Comment

As my granddaughter would say that is AWESOME! Such a challenging project and some real time investment.
                          Chip on!
                          Charlie
                          Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
                          http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

Some projects are long, challenging, tedious, and rewarding. Some projects are quick, easy, repetitious, trivial, and unrewarding. We each choose what we like. The longest journey begins with a single step.
                            I mentally break these projects down into small tasks and celebrate the completion of each one.

Comment

Here is another progress photo showing the plate with the rim complete. I still have some of the highly distorted squares in the curve of the plate recess to do. Then I'll start the challenge of staining and finishing.
                              I'm working on this while travelling across the country. Left Pennsylvania on Monday - today near Little Rock, AR. The actual carving is done in the evening in our trailer.

Comment

WOW, that is fabulous! makes me want to try chip carving.

Comment

Working...
                                X