Chip carved illusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chip carved illusion

I used a foam sanding block to remove the ink lines remaining from the pattern. Unfortunately the block was flexible enough to round many of the cuts in the center of the plate, so I'm having to re-cut many of them to restore the sharpness.

Comment

Whew, I am not going to try that.
      Great piece work. Nicely done.

Bob

Comment

Here it is early November and we're in New Mexico. I have completed all of the chip carving including the squares that had to be re-cut after my ill-fated sanding effort. We will be home soon and I'll apply a sealer before staining the chip cut squares. Notice the basket weave pattern on the separating bands?

Comment

It looks terrific, Phil!
          Another eye-boggling, wood carving triumph!

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
            Here it is early November and we're in New Mexico. I have completed all of the chip carving including the squares that had to be re-cut after my ill-fated sanding effort. We will be home soon and I'll apply a sealer before staining the chip cut squares. Notice the basket weave pattern on the separating bands?

[ATTACH]90329[/ATTACH]
            Nice work. Very tedious. More than I could bear. Hat's off to you.

Comment

This project was not very tedious for me because I was experimenting with new techniques. All of the slicing cuts of the chip carving were done with a fishtail gouge - and it worked extremely well! Each square of the design had 8 stop cuts (by knife) and 8 slicing cuts, plus redoing most slicing cuts after my mistake of sanding out the remaining pattern lines which rounded the sharp edges of the chip-carved areas.

Comment

That is an amazing work of art! Congratulations on completing it.

Comment

I like the color contrast, I have tried painting the blank then carving the design, but not satisfied with the results, what method do you use to get this effect? Thanks

Comment

My carving has NO color yet, contrast or other. Perhaps you were looking at the photo posted with the first entry of this thread. That is the work of Emma Perlaky that inspired my recent project.
                    Recently I have been using a technique of sealing the entire carving and then wiping gel stain into the pattern. I will use a similar finish on this piece with varied tones of stain.

Comment

Really cool! Can't wait to see it stained to give it that depth.
                      Greg

Comment

Here is the chip carving after the initial application of stain. I have varied the stain from the edge of the distortion to the center. The small squares on the rim will get a medium tone of the same stain. There is some touch up (adding or removing) still to do.
                        This staining task was difficult because I wanted the tone to vary, but I also wanted to keep the stain off the separating bands.

Comment

Here is the final form of this chip carved illusion. It proved very difficult to get the stain the way I wanted, but I learned some important lessons on both the chip carving and the finish.

Comment

Beautiful work, Phil! So...how did you keep the stain off the bands and/or prevent wicking?

Claude
                            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Thanks Claude. I stained the center, distorted part by applying the stain with a small, stiff brush. I started to do that on the rim, but the squares are smaller and it looked ragged. So, I carved the stain off the part of the rim I had done. Then I sealed the rim and brushed on gel stain over the squares and bands. When I wiped off the gel stain after a minute, it came off the bands and the outer rim.

Comment

That's outstanding!

S~
                                Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Working...
                                X