• Show
Clear All

• brent
    replied
    Fantastic work!

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    I sure wish all the lost treasure trove of photos was still available. I'd probably spend hours going through old threads to glut on the scope of the work once presented here. Thanks Phil for reposting some of the lost bounty.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Thanks for the update, Phil. I remembered the original thread from 2013; it's good to have the new pics to salvage it from the vandals who hacked us.

Leave a comment:

• neb
    replied
    That is beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Thanks (again), Phil. A great lesson in craftsmanship.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Here are some photos that illustrate this discussion prior to the hacking that broke the link to the original photos. This project, "Chip Carved Illusion" demonstrated 1) that a powerful visual illusion can be created in a chip carving, 2) that chip carving can be done with a fishtail gouge, 3) chip carvings should NOT be sanded to remove pattern lines. The original design is by Emma Perlaky in the mychipcarving.com newletter.

illusion 178.JPGillusion 192.JPGillusion 223.JPGIllusion.jpg
    Last edited by pallin; 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM. Reason: Design source credited.

Leave a comment:

• myly4Him
    replied
    Re: Chip carved illusion

Awesome illusion, almost painful to stare at, your brain must be twisted by now.......

Leave a comment:

• Josef
    replied

Outstanding Phil, simply oustanding!

Leave a comment:

• cb1959
    replied

Phil I think it turned out perfect. We always learn a little each time we do a project. Some great techniques and lessons you shared here.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

I removed some of the stain in the transition area. It's now about ready for a final clear coat. Lessons learned: 1. Chip carving can be done with a fishtail gouge. 2. Never sandpaper a chip carving to remove pattern lines 3. Don't use varied tones of stain on a chip carving.

Leave a comment:

• briemarcum
    replied

This look amazing...wishing I had your talent!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• GiulioI
    replied

It really work the trompe l'oeil does the amazing trick it surely needed a steady hand
    My Compliment for that lovely work.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

Phil, that is beautiful work, and nice technique on the gel staining. Thank you for sharing your experience and application tips.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

Thanks RussL and others who found this interesting. Keep thinking outside the box!

Leave a comment:

• RUssL.
    replied

Another stunning project, Phil!
    A treat to the eye and a wonder to a wanna-be carver...

RussL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X