Garden markers in prog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden markers in prog

I was flipping through a garden supply catalogue and saw signs and markers for your rows of vegies, some were ceramic some were metal, but I didn't really like what they had to offer so I am making my own. So far I've done makers for carrots, garlic, potatoes and onions, I still have quite a few more to do but I thought I'd share this idea with you. I used pine cut 4x5" 1/2" thick. I plan on painting the vegies with their respective color then coating with spar marine varnish for weather durability. There is still quite a bit of finishing to be done, but I think they will look great out in my garden this summer.

Re: Garden markers in prog

Alright Gilly / Harley; Very neat idea and very nice job....but the next time please include a warning so that I may be sure that wife is not looking over my shoulder when I open the message. Now she expects me to make some garden markers too. Thanks for sharing. TOM H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Coooool idea!!! I'm an avid gardener and could see these in my veggie garden...

What do you plan on using for hangers?

Comment

Harley,

Great idea and great job, they will really be neat when painted.

I bet one could sell alot of these if they wanted to make some up for sale.

Comment

Thumbs Up Hey very cool, what a nice gift item they would be. By the looks of garden marker's your going to have quite a nice garden this year. Thank you for sharing the idea I'll add it to me list. The marker's that is I'm the worlds worst gardener...anyway our soil is rock, and more rock.
          Kathy

Comment

What they siad!

Comment

Thanks for the comments folks. I plan on drilling a 3/16 " hole on the bottom of each plaque and epoxying an 18" aluminum rod, for corrosion resistance. I have a huge garden with lotsa different vegies so I think I'll be carving for a while.
              Here's an shot of my little homestead, "Gilly's Acres" 7 acres, the whole top right, behind the red barn is strawberries and raspberries, and I have 2 garden plots for vegies, one behind the house and one beside the house. I garden and carve and my wife has a few horses she rides and barrel races. It keeps us busy. Photo is not that good.

Comment

Gilly,
                Belisima! The carvings are great too!
                Wade

Comment

Those garden markers will look great at that great lookin spread. TOM H
                  http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Gilly, that's a great looking spread, lots of elbow room in the West. You can hoot and hollar when you cut yourself without scaring all the neighbours! Thanks for sharing that, been a long time sine I've been in the praries.

Bob
                    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Thanks folks. This is our first home. We were going to buy several times but waited and waited till this one came up for sale, we jumped on it. The only thing is I tend to get transferred every few years with work, but I have no plans on getting rid of this place. The peace and quiet here is unbelievable, I have moose for nieghbors and lotsa coyotes and deer.

Comment

Gilly, the garden markers are great, both in idea and carving!! Your place looks terrific too! Thanks for sharing both with us! Deborah

Comment

Great looking spread Gilly! Moved from Saskatchewan in '69, but I still consider it "home".

Comment

Very cool.....the carvings and your place. I like it, but I'm sure it's a lot of work! Looks like you keep it up.
                            Sharon

Comment

Great looking markers, Gilly!! From the looks of that spread you're going to need to make a lot of them!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X