Spirit of the West Wind finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit of the West Wind finished

Well I finally finished him and here he is for your comments and critique. I tried something new on his beard and hair. It is all done with gouges, no "V" tools involved. I think it is the best spirit I have done to date. What do you all think?
    GaryMc

Re: Spirit of the West Wind finished

I have to agree with you Gary, One fantastic spirit. I like it.Like I posted in another post about this carving, Love the way the hair flows and man, you have got the face down Great.
    OUTSTANDING! FANTASTIC! Awsome! did I mention, I like it

Comment

That's one fine looking woodspirit.The carving is executed beautifully. I think the gouge gives it a much softer look verses the V- tool.That piece of wood is also real nice,is it hard ? could that possible be a pine or cedar knot?

Comment

I like it! You used the whole surface of wood which I'll have to try - I'm still a rookie. It appears from the photo as a nice piece to mount on a wall. I gave a spirit to a friend of mine who wants to cut the WS in half so he can mount it onto his wood working shop I think I'll have to try a different approach to meet consumers demand. Could you indicate the wood type?

Patrick

Comment

Awesome job! you really did a great job on the eyes. I love the way the hair and bears are flowing,

Comment

I really like your creation, Gary!! What did you finish it with to get that deep honey-gold look?

Mike

Comment

Gary,

Fantastic job......great facial expression.....beautiful layout & design.

What really brings this piece all together, in addition to the great shape/movement of the wood piece itself, is the long strands of wavey hair, great hairline along the forehead, the whole face: eyes, nose, checks and that great stain defect in the wood going down through the center, you used this piece of wood to its fullest potiential.

Great job Gary, its a sure winner with my vote. Bill

Comment

Beautiful! The eyes appear to be looking right at you and the color is beautiful.

That'd be great on the wall watching you as you carve.

Very nice!

Comment

Gary:
                  Great job on carving the woodspirit,I really think using multiple size gouges on the hair gives a better effect then a V-tool.
                  Mark N. Akers
                  My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Beautifully done Gary. You have done wonders with the wood. The face and expression are wonderful and the hair gives the whole piece a sense of movement. Great job, love the finish.

Bob
                    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Gary I agree that is your best spirit face to date. Great expression and great flow to the piece.
                      Colin
                      Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                      Jackson, MS

Comment

gary,

good looking woodspirit,i like the way the hair flows.

what kind of wood is it and what type of finish did you put on it?

keep up the good work

bart

Comment

Hello All! Thanks for the comments, most I ever got on a carving here!

Mike: I used Danish oil on the carving, I was looking for something to use on my driftwood peices that would not darken them as much as the Boiled linseed oil I have been using. I like it!

Patrick & Mark: I don't really know what kind of wood it is, the grain kinda reminds me of oak, but it is very hard, and it has a golden color as I carved deeper. Some one mentioned Osage Orange, but I have never messed with it so I don't know for sure. But I wish I have some more of it!
                          Also some one asked for a close up of the face so I am posting it to my Galley if you would like to look at it, just click on my gallery link .
                          Thanks again!
                          GaryMc

Comment

You really caught the spirit of the wood spirit....great carving!!!

Jax.
                            WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Boy, if it's Osage Orange it must be hard wood. Had an aquaintance that turns Hedge( old fence posts) and tells me he gets sparks off it. I asked if he thought maybe the wood was dirty with something other than wood and he said he didn't think so. Can't imagine carving it.

Comment

Working...
                              X