Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ships progress et all

Hi folks,

Just so you don't think I'm slacking down on the job, Smile ,I'm attaching a couple of pics of my progress on the Marco Polo. She is really beginning to take on the appearance of a ship now, with the three masts done. The detail to look for is the tops and trestletrees, (where the lower and top mast join; and the top mast and the topgallant join) and their mast caps. Very tricky carving!!! Ready to begin the yards now.

Also attached a couple of pics of some Celtic knots I've been working on to "limber up" the fingers.

Enjoy....all comments, suggestions and complaints kindly accepted!

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Ships progress et all

Lookin' Good! Cheers
    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

The ole Marco' is becoming like a long-time friend who comes home to visit ever so often. Those masts really bring the ship full-circle and I can almost feel the power of the wind generating a full thrust ahead!!

As for the celtic knots, all I can say is that is the intricate detailing that only a ship modeler would know. Everything is looking good mate!
      Dave Brock

Comment

It must take some patients to get every detail just right. I'm very impressed. Look forward to seeing the completed ship.

Patrick

Comment

Unbelievable. Bob, it's astounding. My goodness, that's beautiful.

Comment

Excellent work, Bob.
            I'm amazed every time I look a your ships.
            Keep up the good work, and keep those pics coming.
            BTW, I enjoyed your article in WCI, too.

Comment

Thumbs Up Bob Your ship building expertis is just outstanding and the work that comes from that is most impressive. I enjoy following along with your progress--such fine work you do fella.
              Your knots are really nice. Hubby made a monkey's fist out of cording for our power boat to keep the paper towel roll from flopping around when we were underway. I realize yours are wood but seeing them brought that memory to mind. We miss that boat sold it before we left California.

Comment

Bob as usual your work is really impressive I just love the ships you build and love your attention to detail you put into your ships. You know until now I never knew that Marco Polo was a ship I just thought it was something you played in the swimming pool. Thanks for the history lesson.
                Colin
                Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                Jackson, MS

Comment

Wow. I love watching your progress on the Marco Polo. I think you should do a tuturial on how you carve the lil people for it. And maybe one on those knots....

Comment

Your eye for detail never fails to amaze me Bob. Fantastic. Impressive masts,but once attached to the ship, Makes me think of "Land Ho" or "There she blows". I can imagine a mate up there watching for other ships or land or whale or whatever they do when they sail.

I am a land lover and don't know much about sailing but I DO like what I see in your ships.

Just a couple of celtic knots. Hmmm, hate to see ya when you have more. Equally fantastic.

I like the ship and the celtic knots.

Comment

Bob,
                      Beautiful work! As always!
                      Wade

Comment

Bob,
                        Really love the Marco. Is she going to be under sail when you've finished? If so, do you carve the sails or use pieces of fabric? Also, what do you make the lines out of for the different pieces of rigging?

Sorry for so many questions but your ships really intrigue me.

Thanks
                        Garon

Comment

Happy to answer your questions Garon...ask away. The ship will have sails furled to the bunt. They will be made of a cotton material and the rigging will also be cotton for the most part, though some wire may be used here and there. "Furled to the bunt" will show the sails as they would have been pulled up to each yardarm after just entering harbour for a short stay. They can be easily released when the ship was ready to go back to sea again.

That way, they will give the effect of the sails, without hiding much of the detail on deck as "set" sails often do.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Outstanding carving!!

Jax.
                            WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Working...
                            X