Indian Mask with Wolf Cape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indian Mask with Wolf Cape

Here is progress! I've just about got it where I want it....still need to do some touch up work and then off to staining and painting...

Please comment! I need all the help I can get!

Blake

Comment

Great work, Blake! I think you are right on track. Perhaps a bit of undercut under the front of the wolf's headpiece just above the lad's forehead? It would give it more defination and look like it's sitting better. The wolf pelt would be like a cap, not like a wooden mask.

How are you planning on finishing it?

Great work....woops, said that already. But worth repeating.

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I'll probably try to finish it the same way that Jeff finishes his in the book. Probably use a stain and then use oil paints thinned down for the braids, the wolf, and the necklace.

It appears as though his eyes are too far apart which really bothers me....anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this the next time.....or is it just me??

Blake

Comment

I've only just started but that looks really cool.

You're an inspiration to me.

Thanks,

Ayden

Comment

Hi Blake,

Are you fairly new at this? I see this book at Amazon for a real low price and I'm thinking about doing something like this down the road but add veining around the face to show traditional native New Zealand maori tattoo's. Should make for an interesting mask or face.

Thanks again for the inspiration to try this out,

Ayden

Comment

Looking good Blake.

Comment

Hey Ayden! I've actually only been carving seriously for about a year. I took a spiritface carving class about 3 years ago but then never picked it back up until I went to the CCA show at Dollywood last year. If you are interested, I would highly recommend Jeff's book that I got this pattern from. It goes in very fine detail about what tools to use and what cuts to make. It has definitely helped me, although I have a long way to go.

I appreciate your comments!! Make sure you check out Mark Gargac's tutorial that he is doing on the mountain man. His work is an inspiration and he is currently working on a tutorial that I plan on using for future reference.

Thanks for looking!
                Blake

Comment

Blake, Outstanding progress on the Indan amd wolf. Waiting on the finish carving.

Comment

Blake, the eyes look alright. Many 1st nations people's faces are rather wide across the brow, so having the eyes wider apart is okay. You may want to match up the weathering lines around the eyes so left=right. Squint and smile lines are generally the same around both eyes and on both sides of the mouth.

I'm with Squbrigg on undercutting the wolf's head a bit to make it look more natural. If the wolf was supposed to be a forehead mask, it would have been exaggerated somewhat, and what you have there looks more like a natural wolf pelt.

Comment

Blake,
                      Nice work. When I first looked at the piece I thought the eyes might be set a bit farther apart than normal. The rule of thumb is that there should the width of one eye bewteen the two. Each face is a bit different. If you are looking for references for Native People the Library of Congress has an extensive library of photos from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Many magnificent looking people with a lot of character in their faces. Here is a link to the catalog. http://catalog.loc.gov/

Comment

Blake:
                        what a great job you are doing on roughing-in the face,just keep looking at Mark Gargac's posting of the WIP.That is a good way of learning the basics of roughing-out the face.Again you did a good job,can't wait to see it painted.
                        Mark N. Akers
                        My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Originally posted by vacaricature carver
                          Hey Ayden! I've actually only been carving seriously for about a year.

I appreciate your comments!! Make sure you check out Mark Gargac's tutorial that he is doing on the mountain man. His work is an inspiration and he is currently working on a tutorial that I plan on using for future reference.

Thanks for looking!
                          Blake
                          Wow Blake that's amazing after one year. I have a handful of projects I'm working on, one at a time before I get Jeff's book. It's good to know what one can accomplish in a short amount of time given the passion and desire to go for it.

Have a good time carving Blake,

Ayden

Comment

Thanks again to you all for your kind comments and your generous suggestions. I really appreciate them!

Blake

Comment

Working...
                            X