New family crest for a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New family crest for a friend

Generally basswood is fairly straight grained and the growth rings present little resistance to sharp edge tools. But, if the grain is not absolutely parallel to the surface of the board you need to put the "grain slope" in one direction. This is to avoid "uphill" grain next to "downhill" grain on the adjacent board. It makes the carving difficult and shows up in stain variation.
    If the grain of all boards is straight and parallel, try to match the wood tones.
    A single coat of polyacrylic does not seem to prevent staining, but you may need more on end grain. For "reverse" staining (where you use gel stain and wipe off all except what stays in the deep cuts) several coats may be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
      Generally basswood is fairly straight grained and the growth rings present little resistance to sharp edge tools. But, if the grain is not absolutely parallel to the surface of the board you need to put the "grain slope" in one direction. This is to avoid "uphill" grain next to "downhill" grain on the adjacent board. It makes the carving difficult and shows up in stain variation.
      If the grain of all boards is straight and parallel, try to match the wood tones.
      A single coat of polyacrylic does not seem to prevent staining, but you may need more on end grain. For "reverse" staining (where you use gel stain and wipe off all except what stays in the deep cuts) several coats may be needed.
      Alright i get what youre saying about the grain slope. What type of wood glue do you use?

Thanks, I will try this staining method on my next project.

Comment

Originally posted by t_ram08 View Post
        Alright i get what youre saying about the grain slope. What type of wood glue do you use?
        I use Elmer's Carpenters Glue because it gives me adequate time for aligning the boards and setting the clamps. Wipe off all oozing glue with a damp cloth. Gorilla glue is strong, but requires wetting the wood and it continues to foam for up to an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          t_ram08 - I understand that this is your third relief carving and I'm glad you were not offended by my suggestions. When your reliefs get larger than available wood dimensions you may need to do your own glue-ups. I purchased some 4" boards for several glue-ups. I have done cabinetry in the past, so I had the big clamps, etc. I also have a jointer to be sure the edges are straight and square. The tough part is choosing the boards to glue together. There are several reliefs among those in my gallery that I can see the separate boards and glue lines.
          On the topic of staining and finish, I use a water-based clear Polyacrylic, full strength, to seal my carvings before staining, especially on end grain. Many of my carvings are selectively stained, that is they are stained only for emphasis.
          When using a water based polyacrylic, do you have to use a water based stain as well?

Comment

Looks great, Your a busy guy.

Comment

Phenomenal job for a third attempt. Keep up the great work - you'll go far.

Comment

Working...
              X