Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round ornament

Hello,

I am now carving a very intricate round ornament in basswood, and have it drawn out on the wood. It is 23" in diameter, and is drawn on three 8" wide and 0.75" thick edge glued boards. I experimented first and carved a smaller ornament (the doorbell button one that I posted earlier) to test the strength of basswood with this level of intricacy and narrow elements. It turned out to be quite strong so I am going ahead with the big version. I have started to cut it out, and it will be pierced through, with the shaded areas cleared away.

I am not posting pictures of this project in other places (such as Facebook etc.) until it is finished. So consider yourselves priveleged!

Re: Round ornament

Quite an impressive pattern...looks like a tremendous amount of work, but the payoff is huge. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you! It is a lot of work. Just cutting it out will take hours, but I have a great start already to that.

Comment

Like your other work, we presume this will be pierced, that is, cut through in the gray areas of the drawing. I have done several reliefs of this size and appreciate the challenge you have undertaken.

Comment

Yes, it will be pierced. It will be a challenge, but I am looking forward to it!

Comment

And it is cut out...

Comment

Lovely - absolutely lovely ..... I can't wait to see the next steps.
              I'm assuming you did this first cut-out step with a scroll saw? Can I ask what kind/brand you have? TIA

Comment

Hi Nancy,

Thank you! I used a Makita jig saw with a 20tpi blade in it (and the narrowest blade that I could find at my local hardware store.) You would have to have quite a deep capacity on a scroll saw to be able to cut this out that way since it is 23" in diameter. With a jigsaw you aren't limited by depth. Clayton

Comment

Great so far, I couldn't get to this point, but I appreciate your talent. Looking great, keep us posted.

Comment

What!!!!! You did that with a jigsaw???? Crikey, that's some cutting there bud. Wow.

Comment

Thanks! And yes with a jigsaw. I estimate (didn't keep track exactly) that it took 8 to 10 hours just to cut out.

Comment

Clayton, you mentioned that it was 3/4" to start with. How thin is it now? That is a beautiful job in such an intricate design, and it would have to be pretty fragile now being
                        that large done in basswood. You will have to be extremely careful putting a finish on it
                        so none of the little parts don't break.

Am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Thanks for sharing you work.

Ray

Comment

Great ! I like this ! Can't wait to see how it comes...

Comment

Thank you! It is still 3/4" thick. Now I get to carve it. The below carving was done as a test to see how strong this design would be. It turned out to be quite strong, actually even though it was slightly modified, and didn't have as much to support it as the big version does. If you study either this or the big version a bit, you see that not many of the parts are really that long, or are not unsupported over a very long length.

Comment

Amazing! You must have a great control off the saw to cut that narrow and turning without cutting the smaller parts! It is fascinating to see how you progress.
                              Thanks for sharing this! These pictures make my day!
                              Jos
                              Jos
                              Belgium

Comment

Working...
                              X