Horse Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Horse Bust

Very nice carving! I too, like the flow of the mane. How about continuing it into whatever you decide for a base and do sort of a free form base.

Comment

Very well done Paul, there certainly is some movement around mane,
      thanks for sharing.
      Oscar

Comment

Contrast with a different wood--black walnut, teak, ect depending on color choice of the beautiful carving! I like the idea of the oval base.

Comment

I'm gonna throw a possible spanner in the works here Paul. It is a beautiful carving so far and as much as I agree with the idea of a contrasting wood base, something I would always opt for. On this piece I might be tempted to mount it on four horse shoes welded together at their open points making a sort of flower pattern with the bust sitting in the centre. You could finish the stand in whatever you think best suits the finish on your bust. It would certainly marry the two in a novel way. My lowly 2c worth. I know whatever you choose it will be a beautiful piece of art.

Comment

I am in favor of using a contrasting base. I have purchased from woodcraft bowl turning blanks. They generally come in the form of a block of wood of varying sizes and colors and various exotic woods. Some are surprisingly not that expensive. The attached photo is a horse head I carved several years ago on a wood turners block of wood purchased at Woodcraft.

Comment

A variation on Josef's horseshoes idea: A base of a single horseshoe with a horseshoe nail tacked to the shoe, with the horse head drilled to accept the point of the nail.
              Arthur

Comment

Working...
              X