Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pallin
    replied
    We once had a member of this site (Spiritsock?) that carried this form of whimsy carving to a high level, with twisted cages, multiple balls, functional scissors & pliers. Are you out there spiritsock?

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Interesting carve for sure...one of the fella's in our woodcarving club is creating one...I don't know if I would have the patience to carve a ball in a cage. Glad others do!

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    Very interesting project...I'm sure that took a lot of careful planning and cutting.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Originally posted by pallin View Post
    While going through my available wood I found a piece of butternut with a large area of bark, leaving only a triangular shape for carving. After thinking about it a while I came up with the idea of a ball-in-cage that is only half of its normal shape - a caged ball in relief. The cage will have only three bars and the internal ball will be only a half ball with its edges slotted into two bars.
    This calls for some precise shaping, so the half ball doesn't fall out. Here are some beginning photos
    Here are some photos illustrating this project: On the left is a conventional 4-sided ball-in-cage. On the right is the 3-sided "half ball-in-half-a-cage"

ball 001.JPGball 003.JPG

Leave a comment:

• GinnytooU
    replied
    Re: Caged Ball in Relief

Well, after seeing all the pictures that show ya how to carve a ball in a cage . I might just have to try one. Thanks Ginny

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

I agree with Dicky, Phil - you seem to always pick an interesting challenge...and then accomplish it well!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• dme253756
    replied

That has turned out really nice! I love the unique design and the piece of butternut that you chose is beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

This "Half ball in a Half Cage" is about done. I usually leave these whimsies natural. Butternut - 1-1/4" x 2" x 5-3/4"

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

The half ball is now released and can move up & down. Here are two photos comparing this project to a regular ball-in-cage. They also show the final decorations I may put on this one.

I realize now this should have been called "A Half Ball in a Half Cage."

Leave a comment:

• neb
    replied

Very interesting project. I really like your gallery a lot! You have been carving a long time and a master at it. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

It dawned on me that some viewers might not see the difference in this caged ball. The photo below shows the present status of the carving. The upper sketch on the right shows the cross-section thru the middle of it. The outer edges of the half ball will rest in grooves in the "pillars." A close clearance of the ball curve to the center pillar will keep the half ball from "cocking" and falling out. It will be able to slide up and down, and rotate.

The lower sketch is a cross-section thru a typical ball-in-cage.

Leave a comment:

• Dicky
    replied

Very neat. You never go for the easy stuff. Good for you!

Leave a comment:

• dme253756
    replied

Cool!

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

This project is going well - now starting to shape the half ball. When released, it will be able to move up and down in the cage, and to rotate in one plane (but not out of that plane). The third photo shows the flat back side.

Leave a comment:

• Northwest29
    replied

Very interesting project - do keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X