Log Cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Cabin

Here is a project I took on for a regular customer of mine. She usually buys carvings that I have ready for sale but on this occasion she wanted a custom piece. I took some 1/2 inch basswood and created the foundation and carved out the stones, the flooring and the porch boards. I then added the fireplace and also carved out and painted the stones with acrylic washes.

Re: Log Cabin

Here I have taken some 1/2 X 1/2 inch basswood and carved out the logs. I also took some cottonwood bark and cut my shingles out of it. The customer wanted to be able to view the inside of the cabin so I was tasked with coming up with a way to accomplish that so I came up with a flip top roof. But it wouldn't be enough to view the details of the inside unless you looked directly over the top. I then thought to interlock some of the logs so it could have a removable wall. I also carved and installed a mantel with a mallard duck decoy and some logs in the fireplace. I still need to finish up the roof over the porch and the front steps.

Comment

Interesting project. You're doing very well with it. Look forward to seeing the finished product!
      Arthur

Comment

Boy were you ever Ambitious Robert. Looking good. Merle

Comment

wow that is some project
          i really like it

shakey

Comment

Looks like a lot of hard work to e...but it came together nicely.

Comment

That took some planning and some time and it is very nice.
              Herb

Comment

CC: it's believable, your stonework and log placements make sense in my head (some don't). The color and texture of the roof is just right. Major work.

Many log homes here in the valley. It isn't uncommon for the end of one or more lower logs to get an animal carving, too.
                Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                  CC: it's believable, your stonework and log placements make sense in my head (some don't). The color and texture of the roof is just right. Major work.

Many log homes here in the valley. It isn't uncommon for the end of one or more lower logs to get an animal carving, too.
                  I actually watched some shows and researched log cabin building to educate myself the best I could. I still have to paint it to look like it's been out in the elements for some years. Keep looking back, I'll try and make you proud.
                  Thank you all for the comments.

Comment

Love it! It appeals to my inner child as one of the toys I remember vividly from my childhood days is Lincoln Logs.
                    Terry

Comment

CC: old fashioned varnish and leave it outside to crack and peel like a real log home.
                      Plan B: Sikkens Cetol is expensive and a weird orange color but it works properly.

Google Magard Log Home Building Tools and look at the shack in the background of the home page. Big shot builders of big (10-20k sqft) log homes here.

Nomad: I have not thought about Lincoln Logs for decades. Mine had legs = one by one, they walked away.
                      Brian T

Comment

That's a beautiful piece of work.

Comment

I'm with Terry - really appeals to my inner child and of days gone by with the Lincoln Logs. A very interesting project. Great 'stone work'!

Comment

Working...
                          X