Hawaiian Honu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Honu

It's been a while since I've had much chance to post anything, but I haven't been idle. I've just had a lot of other things to keep me from the computer, and my phone doesn't handle WCI website very well. That's my excuse!
    Here is pics of my latest walking stick and a Honu that I'm now working on.
    You won't hurt my feelings if you have constructive criticism for me. In fact, it's welcome. Hope you enjoy.
    Michael

Re: Hawaiian Honu

What species of wood is the sea turtle carved from? Interesting light patches....

Comment

How did you get the texturing on the turtle shell so even? Looks like you used some sort of comb to get all the lines parallel.

Comment

myly4Him, the wood is Milo. According to what I found out, Milo is a Pacific Rosewood. It's very similar to a piece of India Rosewood that I picked up at Woodcraft, a few years ago.

Steev, the texturing is from a sheetrock cutting bit that I bought for the dremel. I've also used it for putting hair on mice I carved for a friend. Just using the end of the bit, I was able to keep the hairs from looking combed.

Michael

Comment

Milo grows in Hawaii, it has beautiful color and grain, and is wonderful exotic wood to carve. A more common name is the Indian tulip tree. Very fitting as Honu is the Hawaiian word for the green sea turtle which is on the preservation list. You have good start and all I have to say....is just keep on carving!! Have fun and keep on learning is the only advice I can give. I went out on the north shore last week and the Honu where coming to shore to eat sea algae on the coral reef, there was about 15 of them and some of them where huge!
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Thanks for the kind words DiLeon. We didn't get to see the honu when we were there. Perhaps it was the wrong time of year, I don't know. We did make a few attempts to go see them, though. I am enjoying working on this honu, and plan to add at least another one or two. I figure my wife will probably decorate the wall with them. LOL!
            Michael

Comment

Actually I have lived here about 30 years and was coming here since 74 very often....this is the first time I have seen them like this....my son took me see them with the grandchildren. I have seen them at a distance while swimming, but it is not a norm to see them. I am sure your wife will have them on the walls soon!!!! they make great relief projects.
              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
              X