Horse Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Bust

I started this horse bust back in January; but, had little time to work on it. My time was spent primarily on a black walnut dolphin that was delivered a year overdue.

I have been doing a lot of carving on this piece in public. I was often asked how I intended to do the hair. So, I put a some hair on the forelock just as a demonstration. This will be carved away as I do not like the depth and shape of the forelock.

Currently I am concentrating on the mouth, nostrils, eyes and ears. Once I have these areas shaped I will move to final detailing (especially the mane) prior to painting.

The bust is basswood, about 12" tall, and will be painted. My wife thinks I should paint it as a palomino for my grand daughter. I have been planning on painting it as a chestnut. I have no idea which way it will end up.

Re: Horse Bust

That is going to be beautiful! I love it natural, but can't wait to see it completed.

Comment

Hi Paul, you have a Great project going for you. I'm working on my first Horse for my Daughter. She wants it on a Walking Stick to give as a Gift on Christmas, one thing I have plenty of time,and I need it. Looking forward in seeing your finished. Merle

Comment

Beautiful, Paul!
        Arthur

Comment

Great looking piece, look forward to seeing it completed.

Jesse

Comment

That bust looks real good, Paul. But, if it's gonna be a girly horse, I think you should leave the forelock. Taking it off will make it more masculine. (Which is probably why you don't like it!)
            Hazel Strickland
            AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

That is a beautiful piece of carving Paul. Well done. I can't wait to see the finished/painted piece. Chestnut would be my choice, but then what does an old sailor like me know about horses! LOL Sure looks good as is.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Lovely work Paul!
                Terry

Comment

Thank you everyone for the comments. I am still leaning toward chestnut for the color. I ran across a website of a "flat artist" with instructions on painting a chestnut horse. Both in shade and in sunlight. Interesting challenge! Diana has thrown in another possibility.

A carving friend saw a piece that a very accomplished carver had finished with bronze paint. It looked like it was bronze. Again another interesting challenge.

Hazel, your comment got me to thinking. This is not my first horse; but, the others have all been stallions. I have no idea why, but have thought of this bust as a mare from the beginning. Has that made a difference? My style of carving was described by an artist friend as "impressionistic realism". Whatever that is? So, my horse carvings have exaggerated manes. Because I like carving them and viewers have often noted, "I like the mane.". I had been carving it in my usual manner when the latest issue of Chip Chats arrived. The cover photo is wonderful. A beautiful young lady with very well carved flowing hair. It has sat on my carving table since arrival. Although I was pretty far along I tried to put some of the twists and curls of that hair into my mane.

I do not intend to carve off the forelock. It is too thick right now. Too much hair. I will either carve it down, toward the head, or remove some from the sides to raise it up and make it thinner.

Time to go do some carving. I am looking forward to the next phase which is burning the hair onto the horse and into the mane. Boring but relaxing.

Comment

Nice horse, I too, like the flowing mane. It adds to the movement of the head. Nice job, thanks for sharing.
                    Charlie
                    Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
                    http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

Paul, I just got to tell ya what a wonderful piece this is. A lot of hours and love have been put into it. Great job. Ginny

Comment

Oh, Paul, she's so beautiful!! I can practically feel that velvety nose. Horses are the most wonderful creatures. I haven't been around one in years, but your carving makes me remember ... words fail me, but it's kind of like I would get all squishy inside when I petted them and rode them. A different life and I could see me easily being a horsy person. Thank you for the memory.

Lizabeth

Comment

A beautiful piece Paul, nice job. fred k

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it painted, looks great so far

Comment

Very nice horse! And what ever you decide to do with the color, or not, it will still be a very nice horse! Because the carving is done well.

Comment

Working...
                              X