Gouge rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gouge rack

With both of my other projects well under way, I took some time out to address the issue of 'wandering gouges' on the bench top, you know, that thing that happens when you use a mallet to carve and the vibes move your tools? This rack holds 21 of my most used tools at a 12 deg. angle, the angled posts in the back of the first pic will have 3/4"x2" pegs in them that will fit into holes in the bench top in front of my goose neck lamp, and or, off to my left in the dog holes in front of my vise. This will make my OCD very happy! Finished pics to come.....

Re: Gouge rack

Nice project. Good to be organized (or at least try to be).
    Joe

Comment

I know the problem!
      Hazel Strickland
      AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Gouge rack is finished and installed, works like a charm. I may yet stain it in the near future.......

Comment

Very nice!
          HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Nice rack! How does it hold up to mallet vibrations?
            Don Holsinger

Comment

Very nice. You will enjoy the ease you are going to have in picking you tools. Well done.

Comment

Very nice! I like it. I think I saw this on drunkenwoodworker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don, Have not tried it yet, as I am on a small project now but I think the deep slots and angle of the rack should work fine, if not, I may add magnets, but more likely foam rubber cushions. Thank you Randy, it is a joy to use! nes_matt, actually the concept, drawn plans and finished product are my own, what is 'drunkenwoodworker'? Sounds cool! All my jigs and fixtures so far are my own design, although I will borrow a concept if I see one I like. Sometime in the end of next year I will be building a carvers toolbox with design parts and concepts from a book called "The Toolbox Book" by Jim Tolpin. It will be my most challenging build yet!

Comment

Http://www.Drunkenwoodworker.com - I just found it the other day, but the design isn't there. I probably came here and saw this, but forgot and ascribed it to him!

Comment

Yikes!!! Alcohol and woodworking! Maybe not the best of combinations.......

Comment

Would it be an idea to place them I blade down with a ark of the blade shape above so you don't cut yourself going for one.

Comment

Some nice work......and the whole concept.

Comment

Hi Peter! Having considered just that thought, all the slots are taller than the tools, unless you stick your fingers in the top of a slot, you can't cut yourself. To get the tools out I use the relief slots in the front of each divider, no risk there either. Also as the tools I use change with each carving, and I have more than 21 tools, marking a tool's profile on the rack would be confusing when a different tool is placed in that slot.
                            Thank you Brent! I like figuring out and executing ideas for my shop. It just seems that nothing you can buy works better than your own custom plan if it is well thought out and made of quality material.

Comment

Working...
                            X