Little Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Buffalo

I've tried to carve a little buffalo using Deseree Hajney's Rolling Animal pattern. Please critique the carving (I know it isn't perfect). Do I need to burn the fur in before I paint it? What kind of paint do I use? I want it to be safe for my one-year-old granddaughter!
    Hazel Strickland
    AKA Dixie Whittler

Re: Little Buffalo

Cute carving, Hazel! I know your granddaughter will love it. Isn't it fun carving for grandkids?

If you intend to burn in the fur, do you intend to use a translucent wash for the paint job? Have you ever tried dragging a fine-tooth saw blade across a carving for fur? It will give you a finer texture, usually, and you can highlight certain areas by burning.

For paint, I recommend acrylics thinned way down with a matte medium, or water, followed when dry with a satin spray finish...check the cans for one that is child safe.

Hope this helps.
    Arthur

Comment

Oh, he's cute! Does he roll? The pattern has some shading and arrows on it. I wonder if you could burn those areas only and then just lightly paint or stain him. Please post your finished carving. I've thought about doing the pony, but.....It looks complicated.

Comment

I agree with Arthur about the acrylic paint as a wash. Burnt Umber would be a good brown color to use. I don't spray my carvings with finish - I use a 50-50 mix of water-based satin or gloss varnish and water. The thinning does a good job of sealing the paint in and doesn't make it look real glossy. I did the bear for my grandson several years ago. I carved it out of a block of walnut, so I didn't need to stain or paint it.

Claude
        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Little Buffalo

I like your little Buffalo very much. Nicely done.
          Rodster

Comment

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, Debbie. Once I quit trying to carve two directions at once. Carving from a three D pattern is a learning curve! Arthur and Claude, I'vd done a wash on him in brown and black and have done his hooves and horns in a metallic black. He looks pretty good, but I do think I should have burnt the long shoulder hair. I think I will seal it with food grade Watco oil and finish. Thank you all for your comments and input!
            Hazel Strickland
            AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Oh, BTW, Deb, he doesn't roll.
              Hazel Strickland
              AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Thank you, Hazel. That is very good to know. I am still hoping you will post a completed picture.

Comment

Cute lil' bison! I think that same pattern could be used for a mountain goat as well.

I haven't carved very many animals so I can't offer much help.
                  Terry

Comment

I just found an old post from kaofan of a bison he carved in Desiree Hajny's class. I should have burned the fur. I'm gonna try another one...practice may not make perfect, but it does make improvements!

Anyhow, here's my little guy finished.
                    Hazel Strickland
                    AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Gosh he is cute! Next one put a pink collar and a bell on. Then you can have a boy and a girl.

Comment

NO Debbie! That would just be wrong! Besides, my grandbabies have been watching "Spirit" and the two year old immediately identified it as a buf-lo. Pink woulda confused her!
                        Hazel Strickland
                        AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

I get your point, Hazel! That means you need to make the little pony next.

Comment

Looking good Hazel. Remember, buffaloes come in herds.
                            Terry

Comment

Been working on the pony today, Deb! Got to leave it unsaddled though!
                              Hazel Strickland
                              AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Working...
                              X