First Owl in Progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Owl in Progress...

This is my WIP carving of an owl. I slightly shaped the backside of the head and the face with a chainsaw. The rest is being done with gouges.
    I did not take any pics until I had already started on the face with gouges though.
    The first two pics here are before I got started last night and the last two are from when I was done for the night.
    James Richards

Re: First Owl in Progress...

Nice start. looking forward to seeing the progression pics.
    Denny
    Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

So far, so good. Keep on chippin'.

Comment

Looks good. I’m looking forward to more pix as the project progresses.

Comment

Great start, looking forward to see it finished

Comment

Going to keep you busy for awhile···off to a good start. . .JoeB
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Got some more work done. Mostly shaping of the back side and head.
              James Richards

Comment

Here is some pics after doing some work on the feathering of the wings.
                James Richards

Comment

Coming along great, just stagger the feathers.. you don't want them to look like fish scales all in nice neat rows. Keep going it is looking good.
                  ~ Dwight
                  "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                    Coming along great, just stagger the feathers.. you don't want them to look like fish scales all in nice neat rows. Keep going it is looking good.
                    Definitely too late this time around. However the advice is noted and much appreciated. I can only strive to obtain your level of realism and detail! You have a keen eye and a nice looking site.
                    James Richards

Comment

I would say that your chisel Work is quite good, and what a better place to have your work critiqued. Be sure to keep us posted as you progress. . .JoeB
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Thank you for the kind words, but I like you continue to strive for more and more realism, and yes I get told when something is not right. I cherish that criticism, it is the only way I will learn. You however are off to a great start...keep at it. If you have any question, just yell.
                        ~ Dwight
                        "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Here is some more of the owl I have been working on. I broke out the Wecheer for the texture portion.
                          James Richards

Comment

Great.. coming along, your breast feathers have good flow and look soft. You have some separation between the top feather and the bottom on the wings giving them the look of air under them. You are doing great...keep at it. You should be very happy with what you have accomplished, I would be.

Psst... owls have four toes, usually with two in the front and two in the back, be sure too check the type of owl and the position of the toes, small details make a big statement.
                            ~ Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                              Psst... owls have four toes, usually with two in the front and two in the back, be sure too check the type of owl and the position of the toes, small details make a big statement.
                              I see what you mean. Funny story....I purchased a cheap plastic owl (that was used as a model) in a feeble attempt to scare away the enormous flock of sparrows from doing their thing on my truck. Not only was that a huge joke to the birds, it was apparently due to the plastic owl having 3 twos showing. LOL

In looking at my piece it appears if I was to remove the middle toe from each foot I may be able to make it work. It looks odd to me now that I have noticed!
                              James Richards

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎