"King Midas" woodspirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "King Midas" woodspirit

The gentleman who made me the carving jig I previously posted wouldn't take any money for his troubles so I made him a wood spirit from a length of basswood that he also gave me. This is the first time I've used basswood as its not readily available in my area, unless you pay for it. I really like the wood for carving. The grain really takes up the oil. I named this woodspirit "King Midas" taken from a fictional character in a novel I'm now reading. I also included a pic of other recent carvings which I previously posted. You'll note that I'm trying different approaches with each carving - great fun.
    Patrick

Re: "King Midas" woodspirit

Very good faces! I'm sure the gift will be tremendously appreciated.
    Thor
    Steve

Comment

The King is looking very good and about as accurate as it gets! Beautiful work.

Be careful on messin' around with that basswood. I once refused to buy it until I "acquired" a large stock for free. Our local visitor's center had to remove a 183 year old basswood tree from the front yard entrance since it had been condemned as unsafe. In return they only asked that area artists' donate various items made from the tree and they created an entire exhibition room so that the tree lives on. My carvings made the featured front page story about the tree which was very encouraging for my carving confidence.

After using it so much from this experience I always like to have some on hand. Basswood can be addictive!
      Dave Brock

Comment

Your "King" has a great "regal" look to him, I am sure that your benefactor will appreciate the gift. Well done.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

patrick,

great looking woodspirits i am sure they will be greatly appreciated.

bart

Comment

Patrick, great carving! Can you share how you create the eyes on your woodspirits? I love the way they look!

Thanks!
            Blake

Comment

Blake, the eyes are burnt in with a kids basic wood burning kit. Doesn't give the depth that a carving tool would provide but the burning does make the eyes stand out.
              The shaping of the eyes are done a little different than how we're seeing the Mountain Man being done on the latest threads. I basically start off with four holes spaced out equally across the bridge of the nose and shave off the wood giving depth to the eyes. When I get into another carving, I'll try to take some pics b/w the different stages to show how I was taught to do the eyes.
              Patrick

Comment

That would be great! I love the way they stand out on your woodspirits and would like to try that technique!

Thanks!
                Blake

Comment

Irishman:
                  Love your detail on the woodspirit,very good carving.
                  Mark N. Akers
                  My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Irishman, what a great gift idea! The best part is it shows him how much you appreciate his help.

Comment

Working...
                    X