Colourful WP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colourful WP

Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is? As you can see, the wood has a deep brown core with some orange going through it. Apparently the tree was tall and straight, and the branches hugged the trunk all the way to the top. Never did see the tree, only its parts - and that's how I got to carve this unusual woody character. I had a bugger of a time getting my tools to do the eyes on this woodspirit as I set them in quite far.
    Patrick

Re: Colourful WP

Patrick,
    Sorry I can't ID the wood but for some reason those eyes scare the hell out of me.
    Bill K.
    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Good carving!
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Originally posted by papasar
        Patrick,
        Sorry I can't ID the wood but for some reason those eyes scare the hell out of me.
        Bill K.
        I believe that I know why those eyes scare you. I can't place the wood either but Patrick has done the best job at capturing Dr. Seus' "Grinch" that I've ever seen in wood! You know, "The Grinch That Stole Christmas"... that is him!

I love it too when the colors of wood grain are "layered" like that. Makes it so much more interesting. Great work!
        Dave Brock

Comment

That has to be one of the nicest looking Tree Spirits I've ever seen Patrick! I love the way the inner core and the mid-level tissue contrast with each other in just the right places!! The eyebrows, moustache and nose, and the face skin so dark. Beautiful work.

The tree shape sounds like and the bark looks like Lombard Popular I believe, not a real strong wood, and rots easily in a standing tree. What was it like to carve? Give it lots of protection, oil or what ever finish you intend to use.

Well done.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Man,it sure looks like some kind of a willow, maybe diamond? Where there some semi twists to some of the branches? and was it fairly easy to carve? I have carved many diamond willow walking sticks and those colors sure look familiar. I'd bet money it's diamond willow, Nice looking Woodspirit

Comment

I did have someone tell me that its a type of popular because the top branches have a green skin yet the bark thickens as you move down the trunk. Not familiar with diamond willow but I'll do a search on the internet and maybe the tree will be illustrated. Never occurred to me that the eyes were that spooky. Perhaps because they shadow well being set so deep.
              The core is very soft with this wood so I had to make sure I honed up my tools when I went deep. The wood was kind of spongy, and almost rotting. It does not take up the oil well at all. Perhaps I'll name him Mr. Grinch. I have four more lengths of the stuff that I almost threw out but it sounds like I should keep it. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
              Patrick

Comment

The "EYES" Have it!!!!! Really a nice carving Patrick. I to, like the contrasting in the color of the inner wood and bark.

Comment

looks a little like a hungover bigfoot with gas ha haHappy
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

AH Dave, That is why the evil "eyes" eh? Was wondering, or is that wandering?? Hmmmm, a little of both eh Dave?

Comment

Haven't a clue to what type of wood but, really like the effects of the different colors of wood, Great job!!!!
                      Bill

Comment

Love the carving Patrick! Would love to see that tutorial on your eyes. Love the wood too....if you have any to share, I sure "wood" like to try it!!

Blake

Comment

Working...
                        X