"Topsanah", Prairie Flower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Topsanah", Prairie Flower

Here is my latest piece. Topsanah was the sister of Quannah Parker, the Comanche Chief. Although this is a caricature, I think it's still done with good taste so there should be no objection from anyone. I liked the name.

I put the pedal to the metal on this one. Started Monday morning and finished the base today before lunch. As you all know, when you get into certain projects they seem to just take off on their own. Everything just fell into place.

With the beaded strip across the breast, the feathers in the hair and the buckskin it should be a real colorful piece. If you look closely you can see tiny metal crosses for her earrings. Took that idea off another photo. Research is half the fun in doing these pieces.

I just purchased a Buffalo Robe so you can expect to see lots of Indians in the future. Have always wanted one to use as reference and modeling.

Re: "Topsanah", Prairie Flower

Wow, Lynn, I think that's a really nice looking piece. The detail is fantastic again.....your usual standard!!! I am looking forward to the painted piece now! Keep on with the Western theme, I certainly enjoy them. I wish I had your skill in this area, I've been eyeing some Napoleonic books and magazines I have, some busts of the Old Guard Grenadiers, or Chasseurs, Dragoons, and Hussairs would look super. Fantastic uniforms back then, very elaborate. Ah well....can't do everything.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Another nice one .

Comment

Lynn:
        Awsome carving,great job and detail.
        Mark N. Akers
        My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

lynn

great job you have good facial details on your indians.

bart

Comment

awsome job again lynn

Comment

Lynn,
              this one is plesently posed with pursed lips and pleased look on her face.
              it amazes me how fast you can come up with new subjects that look right, Im no hystorian but you can tell you did some research or have been experianced in your subjects lifestiles...
              and its good to know what your carving it brings out the needed points of intrest. Great Job!

Comment

Lynn,
                Just unbelievable. I think it looks great without painting. A big highlight of my day is logging on to see your latest project. Really really nice. I did meet you a few years ago at the Dayton Ohio show when you were the featured carver.....Thanks for sharing.....ole country boy Myron

Comment

Thomp....Thanks for your comment on doing the necessary research for a piece. I don't teach seminars but if I did the first thing I would tell a carver before he picks up his knife or chisel would be to go out and do the necessary research to learn about what your going to carve. Even if you plan on doing a Hillbilly out of one of Harold Enlow's books take a moment and find out all the info you can about just what a Hillbilly is. With the internet it only takes a moment to type in "Hillbilly" on Google, Yahoo, or any other search engine and hit the "image" key. You will be flooded with images and out of those I'll bet you'll find a few new ideas to use on your piece. It's those little details that make a piece stand out and separate your work from the the others.

Comment

I try to find as much as i can on what im doing, before i start, i like to know which way a birds legs fold differently than a horse or same with any animal..
                    if you carve a robbin with leg joints like a man your surely gonna get a comment you wont like. especally if you thought you did your best
                    ---
                    Dog, gone, How did you know i was looking at Harold Enlow's hillbillys... ya cought me, HAW!

i know i was suppose to be carving that horse but i messed up its leg made its knee's too thin...
                    you know the experiance when the chips are just flowing off and you relize your doing something wrong?

Comment

Working...
                    X