Finished Indian Bust (Branch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished Indian Bust (Branch)

Hi All, I finally finished the Indian I was carving out of a Sycamore branch, he is about 4" tall and 1-1/2" in Dia. I really think he turned out good, What do yall think??
    GaryMc

Re: Finished Indian Bust (Branch)

If you didn't give the dimensions I would have thought he was a lot bigger. Great detail for such a small carving. Well done.
    Patrick

Comment

Great job retry! Love the details and the painting!

Blake

Comment

Great carving, lots of great detail. Great job on the painting too.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

That's a nice piece! Can I make a suggestion to maybe set it off better? As it's a bust, with little of the body showing I would mount it on a nice base. I would also use a dowel to raise it from the base an inch or so. Like pictures need a frame to be displayed to their fullest potential, carvings need a base to really set them off.

Comment

Great one Gary! Good suggestion from Lynn.

I am trying to figure out if I want to mount the Fireman on another base as there is a base that is part of the carving or cut that one off and mount it on some walnut. If I do the latter, I don't think it will be round or square.

I like your Indian.

Comment

I think it turned out GOOD too Gary. I really like the smaller carvings. Great work, and keep it up. Tom H
              http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the comments!
                Lynn I was thinking of putting him on a base, but never thought of the dowel idea, thank you for the suggestion. By the way I love your carvings, how come you don't have a book out yet?? I would love to have one!
                GaryMc

Comment

Your carving is getting a lot better... could it be because of the new carving club that you recently started?

That Indian is as good as it gets! I couldn't suggest any improvements if I looked at it for an hour!

Thanks for sharing this and for the three views!
                  Dave Brock

Comment

gary,

great peice i like the detail in the face.thanks for sharing.

bart

Comment

Gary,
                      Beautiful job!
                      Gotta ask you. Did you carve the wood green? I carved green and thought that sycamore was great. It carved like butter. Tried the same with a seasoned branch and it was really tough.
                      Bill K.
                      Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Thanks for the comments!
                        Dave I think I'm getting better because I carve more and am trying out different things. The club I started is mostly newer carvers and I am showing them how I do faces right now.
                        Still lots of room for improvement tho. That is only the 3rd Indian I have tried.

TalkingPapasar. I love to carve green Sycamore, but this piece is about 6 months old and was getting pretty hard, but I don't mind,, jsut take littler cuts.
                        Thanks again,
                        GaryMc

Comment

Gary:
                          That's a fantastic piece,great job on carving and painting.
                          Mark N. Akers
                          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Gary, those are fantastic eyes!!!!! The brows are just so expressive. Great job.

Susan
                            Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
                            LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
                            CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Gary, excellent job all around. Keep up the good work.

Dylan

Comment

Working...
                              X