Ball in a Cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball in a Cage

Well for my first ever carving i am trying to do a ball in a cage. Gene really makes it look easy and so far not to much.
    Attached Files

Re: Ball in a Cage

It appears that the struts of your cage will be too narrow to contain the ball when it is fully rounded. It is a good idea to include the diameter of the ball in the initial layout on the wood.
    Attached Files

Comment

First try at anything. By the way I like yours.

Comment

I would say that pallin is right. But, you might get creative···if you were to cut in a floor at the top of you existing struts, then in the uncarved portion carve thicker struts as pallin suggested and the ball would be secured, and a unique carving. and exercise to learn more skills . . .JoeB
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Not sure of what you are saying. Cut a floor?

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
          I would say that pallin is right. But, you might get creative···if you were to cut in a floor at the top of you existing struts, then in the uncarved portion carve thicker struts as pallin suggested and the ball would be secured, and a unique carving. and exercise to learn more skills . . .JoeB

Comment

As you can tell not a wordsmith, perhaps this will help. My idea is just to make a stop at the presently carved struts, something to keep the ball from falling through to the areas where the struts are to thin. I would salvage your carving and add character (that is what I call it when I cover up a mistake). . .JoeB
            Attached Files
            . . .JoeB

Comment

If you are planning to carve two balls in that cage, I agree that they will be too small to stay in the cage. But a single ball would still be trapped as long as its diameter remained close to the total width of the cage. So I say, carve away!

In any case, I should note that I have learned something from each of my loose balls.
              HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                It appears that the struts of your cage will be too narrow to contain the ball when it is fully rounded. It is a good idea to include the diameter of the ball in the initial layout on the wood.
                I really like your example -- one can readily see it as a very nicely executed homage to Escher.
                HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Working...
                X