• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reversing design

Progress is showing. . . JoeB
    . . .JoeB

Comment

The progress is very slow, partly because the cabinet clamps long enough for the glue-up were 200 miles away. After gluing the background I installed walnut reinforcing strips on the back to resist warping. I decided to glue identical strips on the back of the original piece even though no warping has developed after 40 years, Now working on the final fit of the middle row pieces.
      Attached Files

Comment

You\'re rolling now. I can\'t wait to see the next step.

Comment

Here is a comparison of the original piece to the one in progress. One of the next challenges is gluing the figure cutouts to the background. How would you clamp the pieces in the middle of a 24 inch square? I think I weighted them done with books before. The deep relief figures will be attached with screws from the back.
          Attached Files

Comment

I\'ve used bricks because they have 3 different rectangular shapes. I don\'t believe that a lot of pressure will be needed = just enough to ensure a thin, strong glue line.
            Brian T

Comment

I glued the figures in the middle rows using foam rubber to even out the pressure of a board clamped at the edges. The bird and fish figures for the remaining rows are attached with screws from the back. This will allow them to be removed for carving.

When I carved the original, high relief figures in place there was a problem of nicking the background as I undercut the figure. Here is the start of shaping one of the high relief fishes, and a comparison to that fish in the original.
              Attached Files

Comment

How much more do you have to do on this project, I amire the tenacity that you have . . . JoeB
                . . .JoeB

Comment

The 27 figures in this design will all have some amount of carving - simple, incised lines for the shallow ones in the middle, progressing to full relief for the ones at the top and bottom. The border of V-grooves runs through the partial figures on the edge. Most of this is still to be done.

Building the starting blank of black walnut & basswood is very time consuming. The light colored background in the lower half is actually poplar.

Comment

While studying the details of the original relief carving I found an error made 40 years ago. See if you can find it in these photos. This is like the cartoon pictures where you are challenged to find the missing elements.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This shows some of the work to be done. I have started to make the wing separation on the six birds at the top of the piece. They remain screwed to the background at this stage, but will be removed for carving the details and undercutting (perhaps screwed to a scrap piece - I want to avoid scarring the background)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Would the mistake be the fin missing on the fish, forth row up, middle? Still a great piece that is hard to look away from.

Comment

Yes, Sappy, you are correct! It took me 40 years to see it.

Comment

That is a great looking piece. Well done

Comment

Hi Phil...since you asked.

The pectoral fin on middle fish in fourth row is missing. The 3 fish at the bottom (rows one and two, appear to have too much separation from the fish above them (On rows 4,5,6,etc. the front of the dorsal fin just touches the anal fin of the fish above - not so with 1,2 - this may be because they are not fastened down yet...) The three fish in the bottom two rows have different shaped pelvic and anal fins from all the others. As a flyfisher who has studied a bit of fish anatomy, it also appears that all the fish have their pelvic fins to far forward. Now, if this shape/locations of the fins is directly from Eshers drawing, I will withdraw the comment.

BTW, the carving is looking really good overall!

Claude
                              Last edited by Claude; 08-04-2015, 10:00 PM.
                              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                              My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Claude - thanks for your comments. The gradual separation of the fish was part of Escher\'s original design. The birds and fish are a tight tessellation in the middle, but break apart toward the top and bottom. He did many designs in which the figures \"escape\" from the basic tessellations.

Comment

Working...
                                X