• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Re: Reversing design

Another interesting project you beginning. . .JoeB

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

This is the next carving project based on M C Escher designs. The original is Sky & Water II, a woodcut done in December 1938. This carving will be similar to the piece in this thread, a background of black walnut and poplar with birds in walnut and fish in basswood - a simple tessellation in the middle which breaks apart toward the top and bottom, with increasing relief and detail. 15 x 23 inches.

~
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

Phil, JoeB said it all!

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

It damm well looks good to me, Thumbs Up. . .JoeB

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

Seems like I always struggle with finishing these carvings. Here I have emphasized the border grooves on the light background with gel stain, but it\'s not even. Think I\'ll spray a final clear coat and call it done.

~
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

I was premature in using the words nearly done, forgetting how challenging the finishing process can be. After hours (or days) of getting the this stage, it is frightening to think how it could be messed up.

JoeB - Others have commented on my patience or perseverance, but I think of these carvings as a series of simple carvings. This is just a collection of 28 birds & fish that are whittled or chip carved with varying amounts of detail. Even the most detailed figures are what you might whittle in one or two sittings.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

Well all good things come to an end. But this one will be on your wall for all to see. As I have said before, your a man of great patience, I do not know who said it \\\"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.\\\"
    A Prideful piece of work. . . JoeB
    Last edited by joepaulbutler; 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

This color-reversed version of Escher,s Sky & Water I is nearly done - just the two birds near the top need to be fledged - and the final finish. We have decided to display the two carvings side-by-side in our entry hall. The original, carved about 40 years ago, has yellowed a little over the years, so I,ll clean it up. The V-groove border and incised lines on the new version will be enhanced with stain or pyrography.

~
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

This project is going much faster now that all the pieces are cut out and fit together. The middle rows are carved with just a few incised lines. The rows above and below have increasing depth and detail. Most of the border grooves are done.

I have been thinking about how to emphasize the incised lines and fine details. On several recent reliefs I have sealed the wood and wiped in gel stain. On this piece I may experiment with woodburning the details:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

Progress photos: #2: The background with three middle rows - these are glued and carved in place. The other twelve figures are mounted with screws from the back. These figures are mounted on a separate board and carved in high relief as shown in the second photo #1.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

The border grooves on this piece are not a trivial task. The photo below shows one corner of the original. The grooves are spaced 1/4 inch apart and extend 2 inches in from the edge on all four sides. So, for the 24 inch square it will require 45-1/2 FEET of V-groove carving! - half of it carved in black walnut and half in poplar.

~
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

This carving is presenting some interesting wood problems. The black walnut is from a bookcase my brother-in-law made 55 years ago. The grain figure is beautiful, but the wood is quite dry and hard. It may not take the level of detail as the basswood fish of the original.

The basswood for the birds is from a 6 x 8 (inch) x 5 foot post my son had stored in his damp basement for many years. In spite of this history the wood is dry and punky. A spray of alcohol/water mix has helped. The light colored background is new poplar, but gets only minimal carving - the grooves around the edge.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

Claude - thanks for your comments. The gradual separation of the fish was part of Escher\'s original design. The birds and fish are a tight tessellation in the middle, but break apart toward the top and bottom. He did many designs in which the figures \"escape\" from the basic tessellations.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Hi Phil...since you asked.

The pectoral fin on middle fish in fourth row is missing. The 3 fish at the bottom (rows one and two, appear to have too much separation from the fish above them (On rows 4,5,6,etc. the front of the dorsal fin just touches the anal fin of the fish above - not so with 1,2 - this may be because they are not fastened down yet...) The three fish in the bottom two rows have different shaped pelvic and anal fins from all the others. As a flyfisher who has studied a bit of fish anatomy, it also appears that all the fish have their pelvic fins to far forward. Now, if this shape/locations of the fins is directly from Eshers drawing, I will withdraw the comment.

BTW, the carving is looking really good overall!

Claude
    Last edited by Claude; 08-04-2015, 10:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

That is a great looking piece. Well done

Leave a comment:

Working...
X