box fronts in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• box fronts in progress

These are two more projects I am working on.
    One is finished except for building into the box front that it is meant to be. It is the one with Thor's hammer and two ravens on it. Carved in pine and stained with oil paint and linseed oil. It measures 11 1/2" X 16". I make a lot of these to sell to Medieval re-enactors.

The other is a fun project that I'm not finished with. It will be another box front made from pine and the same dimensions. The theme is temptation and vices. The boy on the right is smashing grapes in a vat. The designs are inspired by two separate carvings I found in a book from the 13th and 14th centuries and put them together.
    Thor
    Steve

Re: box fronts in progress

Cool stuff, there, Thor! I LIKE 'em!

Al

Comment

more progress on the second one.
      I put a brick wall behind the two charactors as I planned, but still have lots of development of detail to do.
      I'm beginning to wish that I had done this design in basswood so I could get more detail. This pine is hard to rely on.
      Thor
      Steve

Comment

Some great reliefs there for sure. The brick walls fits well with the second one !

Comment

thor,

great work i like the brick walls they look fabulous.

bart

Comment

Those are really great, Thor! The faces on your temptation are just wonderful. I love your choice and compostion of your designs.

Susan
            Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
            LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
            CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Very nice work. Would like to see it completed.
              Mary

Comment

Thor, very, very nice I like um too!
                Kathy

Comment

Thor, When those box fronts get attached to thier boxes, that means that the boxes will be special enough to be kept around for a long time. Thanks for sharing. Tom H
                  http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great job Thor. Always look forward to seeing the boxes you do, they are so imagative. Love the theme, Well done.

Bob
                    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Humm "smashin' grapes huh? must have been his turn in the barrel!Cowboy
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Very nice work. Can't wait to see it all done up. Keep us posted ok?
                        Krum

Comment

Thor- very nice panels for your boxes.
                          wish i had the talent to relief carve,maybe i'll have to try it.
                          i make a lot of simple style furniture and what you do just dresses the piece up.

Frank
                          Safety first

Comment

This has been awhile getting to this stage, but here is the finished carving with stain on it of the harp player and the grape stomper.
                            I have stained it dark, and will finish it with a spray shiny finish when I decide whether I want it to be the front of a box or hang on the wall as is. My husband says, hang it on the wall, I say it won't sell unless it's on a box front.
                            Remember, this is white pine....staining it dark is kind of weird, but I wanted it to look different than my Viking style carvings.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the way it turned out.
                            Thor
                            Steve

Comment

Thor great job. I say hang it on the wall. Then you'll see if their just buying the boxes or if their buying the carving. Turned out great.

Dylan

Comment

Working...
                              X