• uvawyo
    replied
    Re: Girl and her horse

That is a fantastic carving!

Leave a comment:

• Carver Eric
    replied

Something to show and be very proud of. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• jimp
    replied

That carving just captures so much feeling. What a great piece!

Leave a comment:

• GregGerard
    replied

The carving is great but she also captured their emotion that raises it to a higher level and makes it memorable.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied

That\'s beautiful work! Helen has every right to be proud of her carving skills. She is an accomplished carver!

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied

Really nice work, Helen. And thank you for sharing this with us Paul. It will be a treasured piece sure.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

This has a lots of charter carved into it. You can feel the feelings between the two of them. An outstanding carving.
    . . JoeB

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied

I agree Paul, That is and will be a Piece of Art to be enjoyed for years. She is a Great Carver and should be very Proud of it, I\'m sure I would be. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    started a topic Girl and her horse

Girl and her horse

A couple of years ago, while in Texas, I was sitting in front of the Casita carving. A walker came over introduced himself as another woodcarver. He told me about a woodcarving club in McKinney, about 20 miles north of Wylie.

I was amazed. They meet every Friday with between 30 and 40 in attendance. No officers, No dues, No business meetings with only one catch. The meeting place (Senior Center) is operated by the City and you have to join it to attend the woodcarving meetings. Since I was from out of town my dues would be doubled. Cost me $10.00! The upside was that the center has a pool, billiards room, library, exercise room and myriad activities (art, bridge, painting, woodcarving, dancing, games, computer assistance to name a few).

Anyway, Diana and I were down there over the Holidays and, of course, spent time in the Senior Center. The last meeting I attended, I was approached by Helen (the spark plug that keeps the woodcarving group going). She said, I have something to show you. I have seen your horse bust and have been hesitant. But, I admire your carving ability and want to see what you think of my relief.

Helen does not carve at the meeting. She is too busy attending to other folks needs and generally makes the carving session both social and functional. I had never seen any of her carvings and was looking forward to finally looking at her work.

My Friens, she should not have been hesitant. All I could say was, Helen, this is fantastic! You should never be hesitant about showing your work to anyone! All I can think of to say about this carving is I wish I had carved it!

This carving is two pieces (horse and girl) carved separately and fitted together on the wood background. I am hoping you can blow up the photo a bit and see the feathers in the mane of the horse and the hair of the girl. Get a look at her hand under his nose and her head resting on his face.

Helen still has a little work to do to finish the carving and mount it on the background. I am hoping when I return, next month, will have it completed and I can take some good pics to show all of you.
    Attached Files
Working...
X