Snowy Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowy Owl

Nancy G, here is the snowy owl in progress. It is approximately 14 inches in length (1/2 size). I hope to pose it on an angle piece (shown) which will be carved and painted to represent either a log or a chunk of ice pushed up from the river (which will be the actual base). This piece is commissioned by a lady who collects snowy owls, She initially had something in mind much smaller (having seen one I carved years ago). I told her that I was not really interested in doing anything small; but, gave her a price slightly above what I would have required for the smaller carving. Initially, I had not intended anything quite this complicated, but, remembered seeing them on the Yukon while stationed at Yukon-Charley National Preserve.

I have drawn in and outlined most of the back feathers. Now I am going back and cutting down the edges so that they will flow as feathers should. I estimate that I now have about 70 hours into this carving and am hoping I can hold it to under 300.
    Attached Files

Re: Snowy Owl

This is a great carving Paul. I just wonder if those who do not carve really understand the time and the skill to do a carving of this stature.
    Watch out for those early morning turkeys .
    . . .JoeB
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Paul -- Thank you! He\'s great. I can\'t wait to see the next steps. I love owls.
      Where I used to live I fed wild turkeys by the dozens

Comment

Very nicely done. I look forward to seeing it done.

Comment

So far,so good Paul, I can see that all your efforts in carving
          this Snow Owl are paying off, thanks for sharing with us.
          Oscar

Comment

I did not like the layout of the upper feathers. Just sanded them all off and am starting again.

Comment

A couple of weeks lost, but I am almost back to the point where I started sanding off feathers. Right now, I am about a third of the way up the opposite wing. That will bring me back to where I was in the third week of April.
              Attached Files

Comment

Paul, you definitely have the desire and patience .
                . . . JoeB
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Very nice Paul. That will make a great addition to your friend\'s collection when it\'s finished.
                  Terry

Comment

Owl looks great

Comment

My frien\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s here is where I am with the carving. Pics show some assembly required and the first assembling of the group.

The oak \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"log\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" will be inserted into the basswood base and rounded off. The base will be carved down around the edges and carved to resemble snow covered rocks, brush, hillocks, etc.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Lookin\' good, Paul!
                        Arthur

Comment

I have been working on the snowy owl ─ carving feathers, a little work on the face, but spending a great deal of time on making sure the three pieces fit together. My main concern has been fitting the owl to the log ─ holding the pieces, insuring that the feathers appear to be insulating the feet, while trying to determine the overall position of the owl on the log. When I finally managed to hold all three pieces into the approximate position I wanted what a heck of a surprise!

Working on the owl while holding it in my hands was NOT a good idea. It looked great until I managed the assembly. The owl appeared to be looking up into the sky definitely something I did not want! The face from the top of the eyes to the bottom of the head will have to be re-carved!

This changed my order of work. I had a vague idea of how I intended to assemble the carving. I originally thought I would use screws through the base into the log and then through the log into the owl. But, as I thought it over, I realized that this was going to add another complicated factor.

I needed to be able to carve, assemble, disassemble, carve, assemble, disassemble on and on. Screws would be a pain in the rear ─ two connecting base to log and two connecting log to owl, to minimize twisting. What now?

Dowel pins came to be the answer ─ using center markers to assure the fit. Luckily, as I drilled the first hole, I had an epiphany. Glue the pins on the bottom of the log and bottom of the owl. Leave the holes in the top of the base and the top of the log to be glued in final assembly. Now the carving can be easily assembled and can easily be taken apart making carving around each piece, under the log, and under the owl much easier.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Keep plugging away Paul, it\'s coming along nicely.

Tinwood

Comment

Hey Paul, This carving is going to be great, really.

Paul, I will past along a tip that I use when glue things up. the aligning when using dowels has alway made me a little uneasy. Some time you end up with bigger holes than what would be needed for the really tight fit we all want.

Any a while back on Rockler,s web site it found some neat little gadgets called Dowel Centers. They come in 1/4; 5/16; 5/8 & 1/2 in sizes. Probably old news for you, but thought I would past it on.
                              . . . JoeB
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X