• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soggy
    replied
    Re: Mountainman in the makin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    Wayne, thanks for the info. Well, he is taking shape and it looks like it progressing nicely. OH, watch out for those grass snakes
    . . . JoeB
    Still too cool for those critters up here ( thank goodness )

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Re: Mountainman in the makin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'

Wayne, thanks for the info. Well, he is taking shape and it looks like it progressing nicely. OH, watch out for those grass snakes
    . . . JoeB

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    Re: Mountainman in the makin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'

Day two:.... We had rain up here this morning, so I was able to make a bit of progress. Roughing him out and rounding a few corners. Setting his right arm into position. This gave me a bit of a challenge getting the angle just the way I wanted it.( I haven\'t glued it into position permently yet, as I find it makes it easier to work on the main carving if I can glue the arm on just before painting. ) I had to rough-out a couple of muskets to get one to lay on his shoulder the way I liked . I decided to add a bit of \\\"age\\\" to his beard and hair. .....and I guess that\\\'s about it for today.......... . The Mrs. says the only thing that I\'ll be cutting tomorrow is the lawn, so it\'ll be another couple of days before I get back to this fellow
    Comments & questions welcome
    Wayne
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Re: Mountainman in the makin\\\'

Hi Soggy, your taking a process and making it fit your style of Carving and making it your own. Lookin good and sure it will be something to be proud of. Merle

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

Wayne, of to a great start, definitely will be watch the progress. I am curious is the some of Lynn,s Tutorials coming forward?
    . . . JoeB

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied

Originally posted by jimp View Post
    Thanks for showing us your process. I am looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Jim
    Thanks for looking Jim ; i\'ve started roughing out his body, but not enough progress for pictures just yet.....maybe tomorrow ...

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
    Thanks Soggy, I see you even have ol reliable sharp and ready to carve..............Tom
    Tom , Old Reliable is just like your American Express card.....never leave home without it...

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied

Thanks Soggy, I see you even have ol reliable sharp and ready to carve..............Tom

Leave a comment:

• jimp
    replied

Thanks for showing us your process. I am looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    started a topic Mountainman in the makin\\\'

Mountainman in the makin\\\'

I carved a mountainman a couple of weeks ago, with the intention of giving him away at a black powder rendezvous that I hope to attend later this summer. Well I had the opportunity to sell that one so I\\\'m about to start another similar one and thought I\\\'d post a few pictures along the way.
    As some of you may recognize I use a lot of the methods and techniques that Lynn Doughty showed us here on the forum a few years ago. That and some tricks that I have picked up from others too numerous to count and a few of my own.......
    First I drew up the pattern ;...I use cereal boxes for this .... Next , a trip out to the workshop and make the cutouts on my bandsaw. This fellow is going to be approx. 9\\\" tall.
    I usually carve the head of my characters first and this gives me a sense of what the finished fellow will look like (just my way of doing things)
    So this is what I have accomplished to date:....... I will spend the next couple of weeks completing this project and will try to post progress pictures along the way.
    I have already had to adjust what I had hoped to be the final look; my plans were to have his powderhorn on his right side hanging below his elbow, but I noticed a blemish (the only one ) exactly where the neck of the horn would be after I did the cut-out, so now his horn will be on his left side. This isn\'t the first time that I have \"adjusted\" something as I progressed, and that\'s what I like about carving; you just let things evolve .....
    Stay tuned;
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Attached Files
Working...
X