Mountain Man WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man WIP

I thought I would share my lastest project with you. He stands 14"tall carved from basswood. I am not happy with the paint job. Being that I see what I see in black and white I can tell it needs help. I should have left him natural. It took me about 50 hours to carve him. Let me know what you think.
    Ron

Re: Mountain Man WIP

Dang it Ron, ya put me to shame.
    You have a style all of your own and a great one at that.

You may only see black and white, but don't be ashame at that carving. You done good my friend.
    I like your style of carving and what expression you get from your carvings.

A lot of people with good eyes can't carve that well let alone paint.
    I like him.

Comment

Ron,
      I see nothing wrong with the colors or the carving.

NICE JOB! But I have to ask ...

Is Colin posing for these ? ! The wolfs head the hands the rifle , I like it .

Ash

Comment

Ron,
        Another fantastic carving all I can say is Wow! Ron there is nothing wrong with the painting the carving or anything. That would be a fantastic carving for someone with sight and I know how little sight you have. I have to agree with your statement at the bottom of your threads. "If a blind man can carve anyone can". You never cease to impress me sir love your style but more than anything I love your determination. We can all take a lesson from you my friend you are not handicapped not one little bit because you dont let yourself be. I think you should go on the road and do inspirational lectures, people could learn a lot from you. BTW how are you making out with your seeing eye dog when do you pick him up?
        Colin
        Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
        Jackson, MS

Comment

Colin said it well you should be very proud of your carving. I love the color and could not have done better myself. I for one would love to hear you speak. I often show others your work when they are they are complaining how hard the work is at the business that I work at. Not hard at all compared to what others have to do. I do love seeing your work.

Greg

Comment

Thank You everyone for your kind words. I get the most of my encouragement to keep trying from all of you.

Colin The last I talked to the school the in New York state I am scheduled in for a class in mid august. When I find out the date I will let you know. I plan on talking to them tomorrow or the next day.

As far as speaking I did do several talks to 3rd and 5th grade students the last of the school year and I think they want to send me out more when I get my dog.

Again Thanks all for the comments. I am still waiting to find a picture of a michigan state trooper. Or here is an idea if anyone wants to post a picture of their state police man I will try and do them. I need to post a new picture Colin I repainted the pants and stripe.
            Ron

Comment

Ron, I think he looks great. No need to worry about the colors--the colors are yours to choose--whether they're right or wrong, only you can say. But as far as I can see, they're great. As Kenny says, you have a great style of your own. Great job!!

Comment

Great work Ron. He resembles a friend of mine who reinacts as a Mountain Man. Colour looks good, carving looks great!

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Ooooh! He is so cool Ron. By the way, cool way to store your tools. I love seeing all of the work you guys do.
                  Sue

Comment

I agree with the others Ron, your colors are perfect, I think you made the right choice in painting him! Thanks for sharing! Deborah

Comment

Thumbs Up Good Job Ron! There is nothing wrong with your painting on the Mountain Man. I like the size you decided to paint him too.
                      Kathy

Comment

Way to go Ron! and what kind of chisels are those in the background? look like curley maple handles?
                        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Dave- The set of chisels and gouges in the background are a set I bought from woodcarvers supply. I ordered them Nov 22 and they finally arrived from china May 19. I have used them quite a bit and really like them the handles are Oak. They seem to hold an edge real good. I used them on the mountain man. They also make a detail set but I don't know if I want to wait 6 months to get them.

Comment

Working...
                          X