Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed, first attempt at natural finish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice needed, first attempt at natural finish!

Looks good to me. I wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

Wonderful carving! However, I will disagree with the others on the color of the eyes. They just draw too much attention from the rest of the piece. I might stain them a little darker if I wanted them to stand out more.

Comment

Thanks for all the great compliments guys!! Lynn, you've picked up on my main concern, I don't want the eyes to be the biggest attention grabber. I want them to be part of the entire picture. A really good looking part but still just a part!

I have the color just right for the colors of the wood. I am wondering if antiquing him will pull it all together. It definitely would blend in with the burnt umber the rim and pupil of his eyes are. What do you think? Just a very light coat of antiquing, to accent all the detail work??

Big brother, I think your guy is perfect, I do remember him, now that you've reminded me! Thank you!

Ash, he's not a commissioned piece, he's for us. I am trying to do a couple pieces a year just for our family....no Nancy, I haven't got a Santa done yet, but he's in the rough out stage!!

Bob...."he sure ain't no tooth fairy"....I love that!!

Paul, I really like Crystal Cote, it's tricky to use but once you get on to it, it really makes 'alive' eyes! I agree though, you have to be careful and I'll have to see when he's totally done if he needs a coat or two of it!

Patrick, I thought about woodburning his eyes, in fact I thought about woodburning his beard and some of the detail work, but I was afraid I'd totally screw it up. All my woodburning so far has been to do animal hair or heavy woodburning for beards. Both of which get painted over!

Thanks again for all your compliments and feedback. You guys are the greatest....as always! Deborah

Comment

Callynne ,

You said you were adding at least 2 additional coats of tung oil. Since this isn't a commission piece and a really nice one for the familly, I think before I antiqued the piece, might sound strange , but I would add at least the 2 coats of tung oil and get it in almost the same lighting I expected it to be and wait before doing anything else for 2 weeks.

The tung oil will darken and should really bring up the tone by then .Then look at it and make the decision , it isn't like you have to decide quickly.

Just an opinion.
          Ash

Comment

The wood speaks for itself, don't change a thing. As a non painter, I feel that there is a warmth in wood. I do all my pieces natural.
            Bill

Comment

After reading Lynn's post I went back and looked at it again and I agree with him. The eyes do stand out too much. Is there some way you can tone them down a little?

Comment

That is a fantastic piece of work! Wow. It looks great to me the way it is although I know nothing about the finishing. Great job.
                Sue

Comment

Ash, when I read your reply I just felt like slapping my forehead and saying "Duhhhh!" I knew before even looking at it that you were right! The eyes took the tung oil almost perfectly, the rest of the piece absorbed it almost completely! That's why the entire eye area looked so much darker. Yesterday I put a second coat on it, avoiding the eye area and it looked much more uniform. I'll put another coat on today then get a picture to see what you all think. Thanks for the advice, I think this just might work out after all! Deborah

Comment

Thanks Sue, I've got my fingers crossed...I think I'm on the right path! Deborah

Comment

It's just fantastic Deborah.
                      Sue

Comment

Working...
                      X