X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashbys Portrait of Stonewall Dilema

Okay everyone time to help ole Ash out.
    He's got himself into a pickle.
    This Carving was done as donation to a local chapter of the NRA. They were looking for a piece with a $300.00 or so value. The Carving has far exeeded that value as far as I am concerned.
    Close Family members as well Ash would like to keep the carving in the family. I doubt if his mom or brother would be able to outbid the NRA guys if this carving got into a bidding war.
    Ash is a capable carver and could start another carving and have it done in time for the NRA event.
    I suggested keeping it in the family and carve them another one more in the range they were looking for.
    Give the carving to the NRA.
    0%
    Keep this one in the Family and Carve NRA another.
    0%
    Would you consider this A $200 to $400 carving
    0%
    Would you consider this a $400 to $1000 Carving
    0%
    Would you Consider this Carving worth More than $1000
    0%
    Go Crazy worrying about it!!!
    0%

Re: Ashbys Portrait of Stonewall Dilema

i dont no how much time he's got for the nra carving but i'm with you keep it in the family and carve a nother one.
    ron

Comment

i'm with keeping it in the family someone else whom might buy it,may not appreciate it as much as a family member would,or a member of the board.
      just my 2 cents worth,the carving is great ash.

bart

Comment

I can't read worth a damm, voted in the $400 to $1000 area, but suggest Ash keeps the carving in the family. That there piece is a keeper in my books. NRA isn't that hard up for cash as they have to give away a beautiful carving like that for peanuts. Ash....this same thing happened to me last year, and I've been kicking my as* ever since. Keep the piece and carve them something simpler is my opinion. That is a carving to be proud of, and the best satisfaction comes from your home and family. It will not be appreciated near as much by strangers looking to get a deal!

Besides, he might be a Yankee!!!

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Keep Ole Stonewall in W.Va. and carve another for the NRA.

Comment

A man's word isn't worth anything?

Comment

I thank you all, and Kenny I agree with you, my word is all I have. The issue is simple and it is one I will deal with. I said before I would never carve another Stonewall like this and I will not.

My mother wants this carving, so this issue is she has declared she will purchase it at the auction, at what ever it cost. Well I can not let that happen, and I have a commitment to do a portrait of Jackson for the auction. I will sasitfy both as well as I can. Even if I have to purchase it after the auction.

Ash

Comment

Ash, you are of course, right..... you are your word! It is the most important thing we have in life.

Is there time for a second, less impressive Stonewall? It was specifically a Jackson they asked for? I didn't realize that.

That is a very impressive carving Ash, and it should certainly fetch a high price.

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Ash, I don'tknow how many children and friends your Mom has ... but you might want to let them know how much she wants this carving. They could pool their monies, everyone chipping in a small amount, so that she had bidding money. Also, let the NRA committee know that your Mom will be bidding on it. That might help keep the final price down some once they hit their expected goal.

Susan
                  Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
                  LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
                  CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Bob the auction is at the end of July. There is time, but I need permission from one other person before I can consider doing another and I will speak with them today, at least I hope.

There is easilly time, the portrait itself only took 2 days, but it would be a different portrait so it would take a bit longer. The plaque can be made pretty quickly , so yes I have enough time.

Garry

Comment

Susan ,
                      That seems to have been the topic yesterday around here. The chairman is a good frined of mine, I will be showing him the carving today, after I do that I will know a lot more. As he was the one that asked for the carving.

Garry

Comment

Ash,
                        Nice car and carving, it looks great. When I carve something for someone, my wife tries to get me to keep it. I normaly end up carving one for myself and one for the person I'm giving it to. Once again very nice CARving, it should bring a pretty penny.
                        Mark

Comment

Mark ,
                          LOL shows how much attention I pay to things .. didn't see Goody posted the pic.

Garry

Comment

Have a mold made off the original and give a urethane casting to each family member plus one for yourself. Then give the original to the NRA & carve a new one. Everybody's happy.

Comment

I'm going to play Scrooge, here, although I have no idea what the intentions of the NRA are in this case.

Several professional carvers I have corresponded with have absolutely QUIT doing carvings and contributing them for charitable purposes.

The organizations sponsoring the events (auctions) have come back continually asking for donations, not realizing or not caring that most of these carvers are not "quantity manufactures" that turn these things out by the hundreds.

Memebers of our own carving club have done signs and other carvings for various charitable organizations (donated both time and materials) and then have been approached by commercial operations to get material done for under what the professional folks of the area charge.

In effect these donations undercut your own marketability.

I'm not saying DON'T contribute, just do so judiciously.

Al

Comment

Working...
                              X