distraction projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distraction projects

I usually have about 6 projects going at one time so that I can take breaks from each one if they are getting the best of me. RIght now, I have 8 going.
    I posted a picture the other day of a relief that I'm working on, but since I posted, I've started 2, and finished another piece.

I wonder how many of you are doing the same thing?

The two pics are of my new completed project that is a gift for my son...our family has a tradition that when you move into your first home away from home, you receive a Swedish pancake pan. I'm including the list of incredients since my son doesn't know recipe books open. It's basswood, and has the words burned into it with a borrowed burner. Not an easy task it turns out, but easier than painting or carving them in.

The other is a box I'm starting for my chanter. I've started taking lessons on the instrument as a lead-in to learning the bagpipes. Rather than practicing the last two days like I should have, I'm making a carved box for it. The inspiration is from Deborah Call's article in WCI. I'll carve a long thistle on the outside.
    Thor
    Steve

Re: distraction projects

thor,

i usually keep 2-3 projects going at one time with 1-2 more hanging in the balance.that just sit and wait to be turned into something.

great work btw i like the detail,

bart

Comment

Yep...4-5 caricatures...1-2 flat plane carvings...3-4 tools....2-3 knives...and I only work on them 15-20 minutes here and there. So, they'll be waiting a long time. My biggest problem is I get an idea and I start carving, but I run out of time. And then the carving sits, but then I don't feel like working on it or I come up with another idea.Head Bange And I haven't started on the pile of sketches/ideas I have laying on my desk and the flurry of ideas floating around in my head. But at least I'm getting close to finishing my lapboard which I'm using to replace my carving stand so it'll be more convenient to carve. I hope to post some pictures this weekend.

Comment

I also like to have 2 or 3 projects in progress and about 6 floating around in my head.

The more options you have, the easier it is to keep motivated. There's always a new angle or technique to be tried or learned.

I'm just finishing a carving I blocked out about a year ago and the one I started blocking out recently is now sitting on the bench next to the clay model, slowly forming itself in my mind.

Comment

I try to have one, maybe two going at once.....I really like to finish one before starting another...the bad thing about that for me...is I tend to rush a carving to get it finished, whereas, if I will sit it down and work a little at a time, I do a much better job....bad trait and hard to change! Cowboy
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Yup, sounds like me. I have anywhere from 2-10 projects on the go at any one time.

I'll be sitting there whittling away when I get another bright idea. If I don't at least rough it out, I'll soon forget about it. Sketching it isn't any good 'cause paper gets lost too easily.

Then projects tend to pile up while waiting for sanding/finishing. I hate sanding.

I mean, I REALLY hate sanding. Power or hand doesn't matter. I hate sanding.

So I may not get much finished except every once in awhile - hey! 6 carvings finished all at once!

Did I mention how much I hate sanding?

Comment

With the addition of carving in-the-round... I now have 5 projects in the works....

OMG and this is just a hobby...

Sean

Comment

wow I think I may finally have bragging rights here. I'm not going to say how many until I read some more numbers of unfinished carvings. Try to guess, please do. Distraction is the word I've been looking for an excuse. Thank you Thor

art

Comment

Let's see the winning guess wins one of your outstanding bark carvings right? 57! LOL
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I only have 8 unfinished , oh but wait I have 6 of those on hold .... Dang

Ash

Comment

Sure I will do that Dave. Did you say 57? gnaaaaa says the buzzer,.............
                      you get 1 more try.
                      ummmmm how much is outstanding?
                      art

Comment

well i have had the habit of having many projects on the go plus a box of cut -outs of futur projects.
                        i am trying to limit the number of carving projects that i work on at any time and use woodworking for distraction .

Frank
                        Safety first

Comment

Here are my carvings at various stages and also the lapboard in the works. I removed the top from my stand and attached it to the lapboard. This way I can carve anywhere I want.

Comment

Art ,
                            I have right now waiting for time , 75 different carvings that will be started as soon as the second stonewall is complete, and the copyright work is finished , which will be turned into mold production items, then there is Goodys Santa's the 2 staffs I have to finish and then the Robert E Lee and then another tree carving ....
                            **** good thing I do carve in my sleep ....

Ash

Comment

I guess I'm the statistical outlier...I usually only have 2 or 3 at the most in work at the same time, and they're usally about the same stage as well. That way, when I begin painting, I can switch from one to another as the paint dries. My carving area is sufficiently small that I can't paint and carve stuff at the same time, as the dust and chips would get all over the drying paint. When I use polyurathane varnish, I can usually take those into another room to dry, but the standard acrylics and water-based varnish only take a few minutes to dry, so I usually go read the WCI forums during that time...

Claude
                              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                              My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Working...
                              X