Stylized humming Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stylized humming Bird

Well, I have started back in to carving after a few weeks, 7 to be exact.
    Here is a butternut stylized humming bird.
    Comments welcomed, negative of otherwise

Re: Stylized humming Bird

I love the way you use simple lines to do a beautyful effect

Comment

Looks good Kenny!

Comment

There'll be no negative comments from here, Kenny.....that's just plain pretty!

Al

Comment

That's a really cool design! Really impressive humming bird! Thanks for sharing!
          Krum

Comment

Very nice Kenny,love the grain on butternut.
            Mark N. Akers
            My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Kenny....that Hummer is a very elligent piece, simple lines, great grain and finish. Well done. It would make a great pin!

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Beautiful! Really like the flow of the silhouette. Setting out on the front porch watching the Hummingbirds feed, they have a certain pose they assume while they're taking a sip. You ought to try that shape for your next one. Just a suggestion.

Comment

I was beginning to think, my carving days were over. Well, was thinking anyway, which is dangerous, eh?

Thanks all for the comments. I really like butternut and have some small pieves to try a few designs out on. Theis one was not small and after posting the picture, I realized I should have posted deminisons.
                  It is a little over 5 inchs long and about 3 1/2 inchs tall.Tried Deft matte finish on this one with a cpuple coats of J and J paste floor wax.

Lynn, Thanks for the suggestion, I have two smaller humming birds started but different style and out of basswood. Thinking about a Flower scene of some sort.

Comment

Kenny-s i like your carving,but i am partial to stylized carvings

Frank
                    Safety first

Comment

Kenny....I have a friend who is a great bird carver who takes a small oak burl and then builds a hummingbird nest using that grey, leafy moss that grows on the trees. He then sets a little bird on it and it looks absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Your hummer is very nice. You caught the grain just right, making it take on the appearance of feathers.

5.5 inches long? Wheee, that would be some hummer! Drain the feeder in one gulp!

Comment

Lynn,
                          I have thought of scenes more and more since viewing your web and Blog sites. But, I guess I have a simple mind as with the firefighter and your suggestion on air pack, I am not that good at carving those types of assessoriers. Oh, the simple things like a pike pole or ax or hydrant, yes, but, can't seem to get the hose and air mask to come together. I will Think on it more as the air pack is a simple cylinder piece .
                          Now that is a great Idea on a bird scene. Oak burl, cedar log chip or even a hollowed place in a limb.

WC, Yep, Mighty big hummer for sure. Silly thought past my mind or what is left of it,
                          The Hummer , the Hummer II and the hummer III, well, just carve a humming bird smaller and group them together a Title it Hummer, HummerII, HummerIII!

I know, I am werid!

Comment

Kenny-S have a look at my posting titled eagle head there is also a picture of a stylized hummer set up on a very simple base(this was before i read lynn's blog).
                            aside from the base it is made from thin basswood cut in the shape of a petals glued onto a round wooden ball and a bamboo skewer for the stem.
                            the greenery is pinched from artificial flowers.

Frank
                            Safety first

Comment

Kenny -S

forgot its in the animal & bird topic

Frank
                              Safety first

Comment

Working...
                              X