Chunk 'O' Cherry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chunk 'O' Cherry

Had some left over film from a disposable camera . ummm bad photo quality but why not. A few photos of a cherry bowl Ive been working on.Hammer

PS : Just in case you may be curious about the origin of the wood. The piece of wood in the photo graphs below are from a Black Cherry tree. This tree was located near my parents house in LA . Hurricane Lilly managed to blow this "giant" over Yet the tree did not die. At this time I lived In Florida . My mother told me that the tree had fallen and that the neighbors were cutting it up for FIREWOOD. I almost fainted when I heard the word . So after regaining conscious I insisted that this must not continue . Well not only did the neighbors quite this odd behavior of burning cherry wood, They brought the larger limbs that had yet to be cut into bit size fireplace wood over to my parents property to await my arrival . Boy am I ever grateful . So then eventually I moved back to Louisiana and fret over the wounded tree that still lay there on the ground festering . No longer could I stand seeing it in this state . About a year and a half ago I finished the old "giant " off . Now I literally have tons of cherry drying and being carved . the piece in the pictures came from a branch about 6 feet up from the main trunk . This is the largest cherry tree that Ive ever seen to Date. I thanked and still thank the neighbors for sparing some fire wood. I just hope that I can give this old tree a new ever lasting life in many different forms. Also i'm glad to see many new growths of cherry trees where this one used to lay. I assure you that the piece of wood below had no holes in it before I started this carving. Yes that right their all idiot made don't know what posses me to do this . can't stop ..........

Re: Chunk 'O' Cherry

A bowl.......I'm afraid to tell you this, but there's a hole in it! The soup might drain out! Talking

Beautiful carving! Interesting design, flowing and curious.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

ya got some mighty wicked termites down yonder!Talking
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

That is an amazing piece of wood. We have tons of "wormwood" down here on the banks of the Cape Fear River, and I could spend weeks looking at all of the shapes and configurations just laying around.

Looking at what you have there, I can see where you could take a sheet of copper, and hammer it into into an inlay. Then maybe fill it with potting soil, and plant a small seedling in there. It could look amazing with some moss layed to the edge to disguise the copper.

There is so much that you can do with all of the myriad passages in there. Taking highly polished branches and inserting them through some of the holes to act as feet or legs to raise the piece off of the table might add a nice touch.

Comment

travis,

nice looking bowl cant wait to see it finished.

bart

Comment

Hmmm! Just a test

Comment

Unique !

I like it, ANd well done on the save Talking

Ash

Comment

Travis,
                Nice job!
                Great save, too. No shortage of carving wood in Louisiana!
                Wade

Comment

Working...
                X