• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mystery project vessel.

Bob, That ship is gettin neater by the day. Tom H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Bob I wouldn't know a short cut on a project like the one you are doing if it jumped up and bit me on the bottom, it is a wonderful looking effort, i just am amazed, i have always thought boats and trains, every boy has to have one and some of us never gets past that, i'm to old to learn now but have always loved miniture boats, thanks so much for sharing............

Comment

I drove it hard as I could today, getting the sea almost finished carved, just some wake details and then paint it. The sea is Pine and was tougher than I expected to carve the swell and waves in. Must be an old piece of wood! More likely an old carver!!! Smile

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Bob, this is amazing to watch. I am enjoying the descriptions of details as much as Ron and Paul. It is an education while seeing the progress.
          I've seen your water carved in other pieces, and now truly appreciate what went into them. It looks real even without the finish.
          Thanks for showing this project to us.
          Thor
          Steve

Comment

Bob I am spellbound by what you are doing . It's amazing to see all the effort that you have put into making this ship. I am waiting to see what you are doing with the water around it..Charlotte

Comment

Wow. Just - wow!

Since it is an old paddlewheeler, once you set the paddles in place, I asume you'll build something up in the sea to show the paddles splashing in the water?

Some day, when I am filthy rich, I'm going to commission
              you to build one of those for me. Awesome detail!

Comment

Bob this is fantastic! You just keep getting better and better. Thumbs Up
                Kathy

Comment

Great job Bob. I can picture it paddeing it's way over the sea. You put allot of detail and effort into each project. Thanks for sharing and discribing it for me.
                  Ron

Comment

I am very glad you are enjoying the pictures and "reports" folks, it is fun for me to be building this.

Today was setting in day ..... setting the ship in the sea. I first carved the wake, starting at the bow and spreading out alongside the hull, and froathing up at the paddle wheels, continuing along the hull to merge astern and disrupt the waves somewhat, just like a real vessel does as it slices through the water. I've had hundreds of hours and thousands of sea miles to observe a ships wake while in the navy, so this experience came in handy.

Then, I used the majority of both bars of A/B epoxy to create the effect I wanted along the hull under the paddle wheels and at the bow. (that's a lot of putty like epoxy to kneed and mix) Smile I foamed up the sea under the paddle boxes to show the vessel at full speed and created a good "bone in her teeth" shaped wave at the bow. You wouldn't be able to see the full effect until I get it painted, which I plan to attack tonight, so perhaps I'll have some more pictures later tonight or tommorow.

Bob
                    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Ok Bob ,
                      I have to ask, what is to happen to this after the contest ? I want to know where I have to go to pick it up Thumbs Up .

Simply put Just Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garry

Comment

Just catching up on this thread - been out of town for over a week. I have to say that's quite a ship...and in water! This contest wouldn't have anything to do with the up-coming carving exhibition coming to Moncton? I hope to get there that weekend to see all the carving. Perhaps I'll see your ship in person.
                        Patrick

Comment

Whew.....been a long day, but it has been worth it. Making good progress on the sea. Just have to seal ot, and do some rigging and she'll be finished.

The sea is painted using acrylics, (moderate blue base, dark blue swells laced with green and pale blue between them, a touch of black in the swells for depth and a mild medium blue wash over all) to portray a sunny day, mild sea state, a few small rollers, no wind of any significance. The vessel is plowing along at full speed, creating a dramatic wake and the paddles are boiling the sea around them.

No Patrick ... nothing to do with the woodworking show. You'll have to come up here to see it, it will be in the Books Inn, (downtown in the former town of Newcastle), window for a display.

Garry ... as for after the contest.... who knows! Doesn't really matter, it's just a lark! Probably display it here at home.

Bob

Comment

Wow, Bob!

She looks great! The sea is very realistic. But... if you have time, and the desire, a couple of seamen on deck would really make it. But for now, it looks fantastic. Great detail!

Comment

Bob, doubt it would work at the bookstore; but, would like to make a suggestion for its final display. Turn it into a diorama by painting some boards to make a box of the sides and back. Paint these blue with some wispy clouds.

A beautiful ship plowing her way through endless seas and endless skies! Even if you go no further, that is a magnificent piece of art.

Comment

Too bad it was a quicky job, Bob !!! Sarcastic

That is really a great model.

Your eyes are more critical of your work than mine (ours)... this sure looks like an excellent job to me!

Congrats again, and good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                                X