Bushman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushman

This character is perhaps 3.5-4 ft tall, 80 lbs plus and is carved out of birch. I made a fatal error on the feather (broke it off) and had to relief it into the hat and put a pin onto the tip. First time trying a shirt collar and what's supposed to be teeth or claws of an animal...I basically went from a picture from Jeff Phares book. Put a light stain on the beard/stash and leather. Learned a lot from carving this fellow. Came into some interesting colors in the grain as well.
    I picked up a book on totem poles while I was in Ottawa at the National Gallery. Hope to try one soon. I really admire the West Coast type of art and culture so my totem, although small, should have a West Coast influence.
    Patrick

Re: Bushman

Patrick:
    Great job on the bushman,what a pretty grain in the wood.Thanks for showing it to us.
    Mark N. Akers
    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Very fine Patrick.
      again with the eyes.....and I think I like the feather the way you did it this way better than something that broke off.
      Thor
      Steve

Comment

Great job Patrick! I think you did a super job on the whole carving. Keep up the good work. It reminds me of a buddy of mine , he's a reinactor, mountain man era. It's the spitting image of him, are ya sure ya didn't use him as a model? He lives in NS too.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Well done! An excellent fellow!

Comment

Looks great Patrick! Great detail!

Comment

Good job!Ice Cream
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Very nice Patrick! Kinda looks like an old relic the way it's finished. Very antique like..Tom H
                http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice looking Mountian Man Patrick. The eyes shows the hardship this man went through.
                  Very nice.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed carving him as he was pretty much an experiment. He's going to my sister in law in PEI as my brother showed it to her online and she said its the one she wants.
                    Patrick

Comment

Patrick....Real nice job, great looking face, your doing some fantastic work. Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X