New Update on Ron's project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Update on Ron's project

OK everyone here is a weekly update on the plaque I am doing for the school. Katy is not much of a carver so I need some input when it comes to the finish. I know it is not ready yet but I want everyone to have plenty of time. I want the dog and girl to stand out along with the lettering or you know what I mean. So let me know what you think of it so far since I can't see it. But so far it feels pretty good to me.

Re: New Update on Ron's project

Well ,

Ok I will be honest ...

JUST AWESOME !!!!!!

Garry

Comment

Ron, I think your project is terrific.
      In thinking about your question to make the foreground stand out from the background, I guess that would mean texture as well as color. I have used a "time consuming" way of texturing the background on several of my relief carvings, and have been quite pleased with the results for both the texture difference and the way it takes the stain darker for appearance. I use a nail punch or a nail, and a mallet or hammer to absolutely cover the background with little tiny dents. If they are close enough together, they really look and would feel very different from the foreground.
      Just a suggestion.
      Great job. I am so impressed with your lettering. I have not tried anything like that before!
      Thor
      Steve

Comment

I think its outstanding! I am amazed!
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Ron,

You are amazing. It is looking wonderful. Good job!

Chipper67

Comment

Hey buddy that is looking great. Although I dont do the relief carvings I have seen them done the way Thor said with a nail and hammer and it looks great. Also using different color stains may also work. What ever you do it will look amazing you are truly a very talented and inspirational man.
            Colin
            Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
            Jackson, MS

Comment

Boy, that looks great.I have always been amazed by relief carvers and how they can put so much detail in a small area.Well done.

Comment

Incredible!
                It looks fantastic!

Congrats!

Comment

Ron I love your work and am very impressed, as far as the texturing goes and I think that just may be your answer, the nail and hammer ideal has been used many times by me and i find if you want some choices than use a larger nail and file the point flat and with the file put some detail in the nail, like an "X" or some markes of your likeing and it will add to the look or at least change it, however just the little prick marks of the un changed nail will look great, or try some different size nails, just some things to think about, keep it up great work.............

Comment

Ron, absolutely beautiful so far. I am watching to see the progress.

Susan
                    Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
                    LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
                    CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Ron, You are truly a gifted carver. We are in envy (the boys and I).

I've used a "nail set" to texture a knife handle before. If you use the larger of the 3 nail sets it gives a stippled effect, due to the fact that the nail set has a pocket in it to hold a nail.

BB

Comment

Ron, you are coming right along with it. I agree with the others regarding texturing the background. It would make the letters and images stand right out too. Well done son, you're right on track.

Bob
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I gotta agree with everyone- looks great!!

Jillsy

Comment

Ron,

Looks wonderful so far my friend! I would also recommend the nail texture trick as well.

Comment

Ron, you are amazing. It's just beautiful.

Vicky

Comment

Working...
                              X