Door valance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door valance

I just posted pics of my door valance on my homes pages under MISC if you would care to see them. They are large so I put them there to view. . Now onto carving my panel.
    Krum

Re: Door valance

Wow! What a study in carving leaves! Very nice! Do you see leaves in your sleep after carving that many?
    Wade

Comment

I know how you feel carving the leaves. I did a "valance" 6' across over a pair of sub zero freezer/fridge. you can see it at my site www.woodworkingstudio.net main carvings page 12 #4,,There is also a cardinal , a squirrel and a birds nest in the tree with two eggs representing the clients 2 kids

Comment

Making them twist,turn, go under and over each other really is interesting and fun. And 36 inches was alot but worth it I think. Nay didn't see those in my sleep and thanks for looking and the comment!
        Krum

Comment

remember, next fall, you are gonna have to sweep them up! good job Cathy!Cheers
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Neat! I like it!

Comment

I really like those. It really looks like a pile of leaves up there. What is your caving method in pine? I find the variation in the hardness of the wood between the dark grain and the light grain to be frustrating and it causes slips of the knife.

Comment

When I chose this piece, I looked at what grain differance there is. I started out using gouges & knives and I didn't have any problem working with the pine. This piece was really a nice piece and I had no trouble. But this time I used power. I didn't want to spend alot of time on this as I had a bigger project I wanted to do. I don't hold things in my hands when I carve with knives & keep sharp so there is more control. Each piece of wood has it's own faults so sometimes power is a better way to handle it. The basswood panel I am working on now is going to be all hand done with a frame of leafs and I am excited to finally being able to work on it now.
                Glad you describe what I was trying to accomplish! Makes one excited when that happens. Thank for the nice comment and for looking.
                Krum

Comment

That piece is terrific Krum. I enjoy looking through the images of your work on your web site. Thanks for the heads up when you finish a new piece.
                  Thor
                  Steve

Comment

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Always a pleasure to know I accomplished something that others enjoy. My panel is coming along and it's exciting to see if start taking shape. Long way to go but fun to play with my design along the way. LOL No wonder it takes me forever! Well always fun to learn along the way. The door I had my husband make for me is finally done! So soon I'll design something to go on that and have another project to start.
                    Krum

Comment

krum,

the door valance is great, it really looks great with the doors you carved.

bart

Comment

Thanks! They have been getting alot of attention and have had some customers take my cards but as always it's a when thing. My panel I am working on is coming along nice and I just keep carving!
                        Krum

Comment

Working...
                        X