Help I need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I need some advice

Hi gang I know a friend in need is a pain in the @$$. I have a question. This young boy who has lived in our neighbourhood since I moved in 20 years ago, in fact he was born the year we moved in. He called me the other day he is home from College for the holidays and wanted to give his girlfriends mother and father a rustic sign for their cottage. Trouble being he wants it for Christmas. I asked him how much money he had to spend and he told me not more than $100. Last sign I did took me about 20 hours to do without painting. Being Christmas I concented to do it for a nominal fee because I really believe in Christmas and he is a nice young man. My problem is I have done a shallow relief carving on the slab. What would you do give it a coat of stain or two coats and then paint the tree's and letters or paint it first and then give it a couple of coats of stain and then a coat of clear coat. Need your advice BTW the name of the cottage is WESTWIND'S. Thanks in advice guys I have never stained over Acrilic or painted Acrilic on top of stain and I have to have it finished tomorrow.
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Re: Help I need some advice

I would stain to different hues of stain. One for the background and one for the lettering and trees. Either way, darkk background and lighter letters and trees or vice versa. As you know, you want the lettering and foreground(trees) to stand out. JMHO.
    BTW Colin, that is a fantastic looking sign.
    You need to be commended for your friendship with this young man and for careing like you do.

You are OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Colin
      I have a sign outside of my shop that's been there 4 years . I clear coated it then painted it then clear coated it about 3 times . Still looks good .

BOB

Comment

Dont know if it's too late, but I'm totally with Kenny on this one. I'd stain a darker color for trees and lettering and lighter for background.

Let us know if you make it on time!

Jillsy

Comment

I'd do a light stain (maybe even a light brown wash) so it would dry fairly quickly, then a green wash on the trees, darker brown or gray on the trunks and black acrylic on the lettering. that way everything would stand out and still the grain would show. Several coats of spray satin poly would finish it off nicely.......be sure to seal the back!

Nice job on the sign.

Al

Comment

Colin,

I assume you have it done by now , I am sure it is perfect.

Well done my friend

Ash

Comment

Working...
            X