no longer shoemakers kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no longer shoemakers kid

Just finished the first of 2 doorframes for MYSELF! Had a bit of time before the holidays to get at least one done and put up. This is done in basswood. I used the original frame, added some trim to make it more interesting and added the corner carvings for just a bit of detail. The shield is in acrylics and 23K gold, then "antiqued" to soften it a little giving some contrast to the white trim. I no longer feel like the shoemakers kid without any of my own carvings in my house.

Re: no longer shoemakers kid

Mark, You gots some snazzy doors now. Looks really good, and fits right in with the other trim. Cannot let my wife see this bit of work, or I might have to give you a call. Tom H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Regal! We'll have to start calling you Sir Mark! Very nice!
      Wade

Comment

Nice work. Too true, about so many carvers not displaying their own work in their homes.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Mark ,

Very nice combination. You said you used 23 caret gold , I assume this gold glited paint?

Ash

Comment

Thanks everyone,I'll post the second when it's done.I 've always loved Architectural carving.( Heck, I love all carving)but I think it's nice to be able to live with and incorporate it into our everyday lives, even if it's a spoon to stir noodles, somehow it just feels better.There is something to that "old world charm" that I really enjoy, so I 'm starting to add it to my home where and when I can.As far as the gold goes, it's the real gold leaf in sheets."Gold" paints , at least all the brands I have tried,even with actual gold in them, tend to brown out over time because of the bronzes and other metals in them that tarnish.Sealers only slow down the process somewhat.Also the actual finish, though gold in color doesn't really compare to the actual gold. One product that I have been using more of lately is Dutch Gold.Now this, with a proper sealer,will look as good as , and last as long as real gold, at a fraction of the price. This is usually what you see when an entire church ( mouldings etc.) is done in gold.It's also very easy , compared to gilding.

Comment

Nice job Mark!

Comment

Working...
              X