aarrgghh..it's a pirate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aarrgghh..it's a pirate?

was inspired by the new pirates movie out and wanted to try an original pirate bust,was going to paint the hat and eye patch black and then stain the rest think this might be and intresting look,but got to looking for my black paint tonight and found out my daughter went back to college with my black paint,guess i'll have to wait till i get some more or she comes home this weekend to finish it.critique is welcome cause that's how ya learn.

Re: aarrgghh..it's a pirate?

That's quite a carving Dadio. I think you captured the look very well. It's deceiving when you see your carving tools behind him as I thought he was much bigger at first. Don't worry about the paint - he looks good as he is...maybe some oil to bring out the grain.
    Patrick

Comment

Aye matie! Yer shipmate looks the part and a right smart gentleman of the trade........er.....pirate he be! Smile

Well done, Daddio, love the piece. Has a real salty look!

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Wonderful character! I think you're right on with the little bits of black when it's done, but it does look really good already. I like the trunk as a base too. Very original, and great beard.
        Thor
        Steve

Comment

Nice one DADDIO!

Comment

Well
            Done =)

Comment

Hey.....That is one neat carving!! One suggestion though. If the head is not attached to the Treasure Chest I would redo it to look more like a trunk and not so much like a leather briefcase. Maybe even put a skull on the ground in front of the chest to carry the theme even more. Then put it on a nice, hardwood base and you have yourself a Blue Ribbon winner for sure! Also, I'd skip the natural finish. That piece needs some color!

You make Captain Jack proud to be a man of the sea!

Comment

Daddio, Now that's one fine little carving. And I really like the smallness of it too. If you paint it, be sure to post finished piece. Tom H
                http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

man ya'll sure make somebody feel good bout their carving,thanks everyone,i drew and cut this out about a month ago finally got the courage to carve it on out,lynn it is one piece,the chest was orignally just gonna be a swoop kind of base then i thought about the chest mid-way into it,i agree about the briefcase look,and like the skull idea maybe skull and crossbones hhmmmm...see that's what i like about this board now i's gots me some more carving to do

Comment

Forget the crossbones....the skull is enough. However, to be really cool....put a little Golden Bug in one of skulls eye sockets. Now you've got old Long John Silver!

It's just my opinion but I would still change out that trunk to make it more "Pirate Friendly". Believe me, they might not say it but everyone who sees that trunk will wonder just what you had in mind in making it that way.

Comment

Great little carving.
                      I'm working on a pirate design also, still in the drafting stages though.

Here is a skull that I got off the Pirates movie that I'm trying to incorporate into the base.

You are welcome to use it for yours too.

Comment

oohh great thanks alot silver....ihad planned on just a flat base cut out like a skull... nice and simple....now here's this great picture and the ol mind is kicking in overdrive wanting to carve that skull as a base. lol just when you think your done along comes another great idea,that's why i like posting on here so many great thinkers sooo many great ideas,thanks silver,i'm headed to the wood box now..lol

Comment

<aybe ya could just square up the chest to give it a more "pirate chest" look. Look at me give pointers to my mentor. lol. looks a like to sloped for a chest. head looks real good though.Bouncing S

Comment

hey i'm open to all suggestions,if i squared it up though the chest would be to far behind the head to me.plus noowww i gots this really cool idea for a skull base under the chest,with a little help from silver.

Comment

Very nice for sure! Please post a finish pic!

Comment

Working...
                              X