Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky the flat-eared Raccoon

Hello again,

Took me quite a while to be brave enough to get started carving, so be nice. Actually, some background first...

I have been out of town most weekends since Christmas, so there was a legitimate delay in getting started. But, I got my knives and gathered up some wood and was ready to go. Then I was introduced to geocaching...

Do any of you out there geocache? WOW is it fun!!! And I thought little hand carved items would make some really unique trades. Well, I grabbed my knives and got started with the express purpose to "whip something out".

Five hours later, I was almost done with the cutest little raccoon ever - and then I lopped his ears off. No blood was shed, just the loss of little Rocky's ears. So, he became a crouching raccoon with ears down (like he just came face to face with a big dog or something...). Really, I meant for his ears to be low profile...

Oh, and I know I could have finished him off a little better, but I was thinking he would be a trade trinket for a geocache box - most items in these are of low to no value other than for whimsy. I didn't want to go all out with sanding and finishing. SO, he just got ink pen details. I promise I will get into proper finishing as I progress.

Anyway, the more I got to looking at little Rocky, with his "no-ear" profile, I just couldn't part with him. He was officially my first solo project; he stays with me.

Re: Rocky the flat-eared Raccoon

I'd keep him too! Don't racoons pull there ears back when they get ready fight??? I think he's real neat. And I like small too. Tom H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

To be honest , it is awesome for a first.

And you said the right statement ... FUN !

As far as finish , only you know what is right , there are many ways and many styles. You will decide what is best , it is your work and no matter what anyone else says it is your choice as to how and what to do.

Well DONE !

Ash

Comment

bbswampgirl,

great work, i think that since it is your first solo it should stsy also, the ears being laid back looks good also, but try one with the ears up to see how it come out too.

keep up the good work.

bart

p.s and you said it right it was fun that is what this hobby is all about.

Comment

I like it! And that's not even considering that it is your first solo project.
          Member of Caricature Carvers of America
          My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Well done. That's a nice little Raccoon, you did a great job capturing his "attitude". Keep up the good work.

Bob
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Great job! Now I gotta ask.. (looking at that steering wheel back there) are you carving while driving??? *grin*

Comment

Hello Swampgirl.. That's a neat little raccoon and for your first project that's well done..! The ears are fine.. don't do like me and cut a nose off... grin My husband left me with about six raccoons and each one is different but the same pose . I am using one in my caving I am working on now.. I am not.. I say Not... going to burn fur on him though.. He will just be a slick bodied raccoon...lol Keep up the good work.. Charlotte

Comment

Its ok...its a toyota ha haIce Cream
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Originally posted by Marci MN
                    Great job! Now I gotta ask.. (looking at that steering wheel back there) are you carving while driving??? *grin*
                    HA! No, I was not carving while driving. I was drinking a white russian (while carving, not driving) - don't know which is worse!

BTW, I kept forgetting to take pictures of Rocky and had my friend take some pix while we were out running errands, at a red light.

*No one was harmed in the taking of these pictures.*

Y'all are hysterical.

Comment

I think he is so cute. The carving and driving thing went through my mind too. (Might have been more safe than the White Russian??).

Comment

Oh good grief, Two Louisianna women folk driving a Toyota, drinking White russians, taking pictures at a stop light, probably giggling while all this takes place. Man oh man, Milk and vodka,What's wrong with this picture??

Kidding aside, Nice one for your first, Sand it down, Paint it a dark grey, black stripes around it's tail, put it on a base, Then put it on the fireplace mantle. Yep, I always keep my first ones.

Comment

hey bb,

yeah that looks like a coon but a louisiana gal should know that coon needs a crawfish or a crab to be right gal...

ya know them ears dont matter, wild coons keeps them moving all the time..!

he looks like hes on the edge of the bayou where the water meets the bank fix'n to wash his paws...

keep it up and we will all be carving hard to keep up gal...
                          great first one

Comment

Working...
                          X