mantle leaf brackets,egg&dart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mantle leaf brackets,egg&dart

Thanks everyone.Yes,, the bottom of this is a bit odd,,but I think it should stay fairly simple in contrast to the top, as they usually are,but I hadn't seen one done exactly like this before,,other styles on the bottom,sure, but this?I have quite a collection of those spoon gouges,,they can come in handy at times ,but alot of the roughing in was done with a typical gouge,,I just came in from the sides,the spoons merely smoothed and cleaned it up a bit more.The spoon gouges generally just sit and gather rust,, or is it dust?
    On another post some were discussing glues/glue joints. If a block is properly prepared,,the joint should virtually dissappear.You won't even feel it carving through it,grain may change,,that's it.Many have trouble making the pieces fit properly,,have joints fail,,think a special glue is needed or run into pockets of glue acting as a filler (a very weak joint) and think a glued up piece doesn't react the same as a solid block.It's simply not true if done correctly.Remember,,if you can see a glue line,, it's a bad joint,,you should only see grain change or color shift.
    As far as how I did the outline of these leaves I used a "V" tool to do these. I used it to basically outline , and remove waste wood,and then did some follow up with whatever gouge fit the curves to really define them. I have never used a knife to carve anything at any time,,even to use one to just "trim" or "clean up" a piece.Personally I don't believe in them.Much better results I think can be had with chisels/gouges and the result is a cleaner carving.For whittling and things like that,,sure,,but not on these types of carvings.

I included a close up of the bracket itself,,it too is a glued up piece,,see the line down the middle? So this piece is really 4 pieces of wood,,neat huh? Two 8/4 pieces and two 3/4 pieces,,only thing is the 3/4 pieces are a different color,,,not my choice,,he's good at staining and will make it dissappear I'm sure.

Comment

Had to go back a bit to get this post and dust it off. Since it's unusual to see most of my work installed I took advantage of the opportunity to visit this home where my egg and dart ended up. Thought you might like a peek as well. In these shots you can see the overall piece. In the photo where you see the painting,,that's really on a remote that scrolls away to reveal a TV behind it. You'll also see the shell,,brackets and the view as you enter the room.
      Originally this area was a separate room with a low ceiling. They blew out the ceiling into the second floor and built the balcony and bookcases all around the perimiter. All the paneling and woodwork is Honduras Mahogany.

Thought it was pretty neat.I got a kick out of seeing it installed.

Comment

Wow, Mark!

Is your work as smooth as it looks? I just wanna touch it! Mobster

Comment

I'm just a bit speechless! Stunning work!

Chuck

Comment

"...I was hoping someone here might enjoy this stuff..."

Enjoy that stuff?!
            You bet!

Thank you, very much for posting these. T
            These are exactly the type of work that I most look for when I daily check the board.

I usually print & save thes posts to review late in the day, after work and family obligations have all been met for the day. Then I go back to the post and enlarge the images for detail.

Thanks again. To say that enjoy this stiff is the understatement of the day.
            :-)

RussL.

Comment

Hey boss,

Initiallly, do you cut your templates with the actual gouges to be used?

Thank you,

Russ

Comment

Yes Russ,,I do. I'll use very thin plastic or aluminum. The chisels cut both without any problem. The plastic is easier to cut up,,but if I need a pattern to hold a shape rather than lay flat,,the alum. is the one to use.
                Depending on the pattern I can't always use the exact chisel but use one that's very close.This might be a constantly changing radius for example.But for the most part matching the pattern to the chisel makes life easier.

Comment

Thank you.

This may be a stupid question but do you re-hone, use a fine Arkansas stone or just slap gouge the on a strop after cutting the aluminum?

I'm just trying to get a sense of how much "recovery" work must be done to a gouge if used in this manner to return it do its regular day-job of carving wood! ;-)

I'm not that confident about my own ability to keep my edges in tip-top sharpness and am hesitant to do anything that I might have difficulty putting the edge back on after.

Thanks,

Russ

Comment

Not a stupid question at all. How many "normal" people go and use their wood chisels to cut metal?
                    Well,O.K.,,me,,but who said I was normal?
                    Seriously though,,they are none the less for wear. I've cut out lots of templates and if I remember I might give them a quick buffing,,but usually I just go right on to the carving.

I guess I'm not very nice to my chisels. Or just maybe I don't have the urge to really fuss over them. Considering all the cuts I just made in my current project I might have buffed them MAYBE twice a day,,,and this is quite a bit of carving to ask of just two chisels,not that i'm using dozens to spread out the load,,,yet the cuts are clean,,show a nice gloss after a pass.They do work a bit nicer after some attention but I just get engrossed in the carving. I know many follow guidelines of stroping after so many cuts,,or every 15 minutes but I don't really bother. If they're cutting fine,,just keep going.Some of this may have to do with how I originally set them up that they cut the way they do,,and if they are making the cuts the way I want to see them,,,let 'em be.

Comment

Thank you...again! :-)

Russ

Comment

what rare pics, wow, yes i enjoy too seeing your work installed. very neat :-) thanks for sharing !

Comment

I'm having a hard time keeping my jaw off the floor Mark! Unbelievable. Beautiful and what a "place". Thanks for sharing these awesome pictures truely something to be SO proud of to have created AND bet the owners are loving it too.
                          Krum

Comment

Working...
                          X