Santa Ornaments WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Ornaments WIP

Here are a couple of santa ornaments that I have been working on. I tried to do one with a smiling grin and the other looking like he was asleep. As you will probably notice, I'm still enjoying carving the squinty eyes. I don't mind the others but I sort of like these on the santas.

I hope to get them painted this weekend. Feel free to comment....good or bad....I need the constructive criticism!

Blake

Re: Santa Ornaments WIP

Great job on the ornaments Blake,looks like Wayne left his mark on your style.
    Mark N. Akers
    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

looks good Blake.

Arnold

Comment

Blake,

I like the way you finished out the top of the ornament. Looks like the metal top of some old glass ornaments we used to have...clever.

Can you snap a pic to show how you finished the back? It's always a tough transition for me trying to decide if Santa has a neck or not.

Thanks!

Comment

Look good, Blake

Think you're making cleaner cuts.

IMHO, the one looks too unhappy to me, Santa should never be unhappy. Well maybe he is if someone leaves stale cookies.

Comment

They look good Blake. Like the smiley one better. I have to agree with Bob in TN, Santa shouldn't be Pouting but then, I like him also. I guess Santa can be a little sad after his long night. At least he doesn't look hungover from a long night
            Like the tops also. Just neat ornaments. Can't wait to see them finish in the way of your great technique.

Comment

Blake ,
              nice work, but I have a question, I know you have been using the squint eyes , but isn't the lower lip a bit oversized for such a smile?

Looks like it is out in front of the upper lip area , and I would think that with that type of smile it would be pulled in under the lip and very thin.

Just asking.

Ash

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone! I agree with them all! I think Santa probably shouldn't be frowning, but I decided not to put wrinkles in his face so he would look like he was sleeping. I was trying to make him a little different from the first, and was the reason he looks a little down and out. Maybe hungover....maybe tired....maybe mad at Mrs. Claus!

I also agree with you Ash, now that I look at it the lip is a little big for a smiling face. I will go back and make some modifications to try and make it a little more proportional based off of his expression. Thanks for the suggestions! I think that is why this WIP thread is useful!

Mike, I have also attached some pictures of the back of him. I basically just allowed the hair to come around under his hat, and added some wrinkles and deep grooves to his hat. I will post more when he is finished.

Thanks again for looking!
                Blake

Comment

Here are the pictures you requested from the back of his hat and hair.....

Also, I'm glad you picked up on the metal top to the ornament. A little something I picked up from Wayne Shinlever's class.

Blake

Comment

blake,

they look pretty good, but like ash said the lips need to be trimmed down a shade and also a shadow cut needs to be cut between the lip and the moustache.

bart

Comment

Working...
                    X