Blue Channel Catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Channel Catfish

I made this cutout from a 2X6 pine board.Hes carved back to 1 1/2 X 5 1/2 X 16 " right now.

I will keep carving him and when Ive finished, I will paint and mount him on a base.

Re: Blue Channel Catfish

Nice start on that "cat"! I was just looking at the pictures, and there is some really nice grain patterns showing on it. You might try a light natural or golden oak stain on him when you are finished carving, just to see what it looks like. You can always paint over the stain if you want. It might also look great painted and then lightly "distressed". Just a couple suggestions......he's yours so do what tips your scale!

Al

Comment

Whew! good luck on those wiskers! Looks like you're off to a great start! Looking forward to seein' him done!

Comment

Al,you are right,I kinda get tired of covering up nice wood grains with paint! I like the nice grains in wood. Distressing the wood I call antiquing,Ive done that on the few duck decoys Ive carved before.I will take your advice! Thanks for your ideas!
        Yea! The wiskers hanging down will be tough plus I cant carve them to thin for fearing they will break! Thks for the advise Michael.

Comment

How about carving the wiskers seperately? May have better luck. yep really nice grain on that piece.

Comment

Well if the whiskers break, put wire in, thats what the whiskers look like anyway....at least the one that went into my finger
            "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_S
              How about carving the wiskers seperately? May have better luck. yep really nice grain on that piece.
              I will just have to see how the wiskers are looking as I carve more,might leave them to be the last thing carved! Thks for your idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
                Well if the whiskers break, put wire in, thats what the whiskers look like anyway....at least the one that went into my finger
                Yea I had a catfish spurrrrr me,really hurts in the palm of your hand!! I would like to keep everything about this fish wood but who knows should the wiskers break!! Right!
                Thks for your advise~

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_S
                  I agree with Kenny - if you do carve them separately, you can have the grain running long-wise in the whiskers, and make them much stronger that way.

Good start!
                  Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                  My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                  My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                  My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I will keep carving back the parts on this olde cat fish getting his body parts in perspective as I go. Its right now a thick wood but the main thing is getting them in their correct places. I will separate his wiskers[the ones coming around his mouth] under his belly,I will be going slow testing how strong the wiskers will be holding up as I carve them back. Thanks Claude for your advise!

Comment

Have you thought about usung something like horse hair instead wood.It's just a thought

Comment

Gald yall got to come by today!! It was neat showing you some of my work Davy! Yea you told me about someone using horse hair in a carving,sounded ok for what they was carving but I want all of this olde cat to be carved from wood. BUTtttttttttttttt should I need any horse hair,I will look into the mirror as my wife plucks a few from me!! JUSTttttttttttttt Kidding!! I will be in touch plus thks for the advise my shop. Yur-olde-carv-n bud,Forrest

Comment

Working...
                        X