X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feb
    replied
    Re: Leafy Woodspirit

Nice job Patric,never saw a green man in a tree before must have been hiding I like it. FEB

Leave a comment:

• Krum
    replied

Addicting aren't they? I have been playing with the leafs on my birdhouse as I loved the effect it has on the carvings. So much fun to do too! You can see what I have done with the birdhouses on my homepage if your bored. :-)
    They are never boring.
    Thanks for sharing-wonderful job!
    Krum

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    replied

Thanks everyone.

Mark Y - the concept of putting the leaves on this guy was quite simple. I basically carved out a wood spirit like I normally do and I then took my parting tool and carved out leaves...then brought them to the surface one at a time. It's a shame you can't see the beard better as that's where the layering really shows. Here are two more pics of that area...yet the pics don't show the level of depth. I plan on doing some smaller carvings with the same idea. I will cut down on the number of leaves as it kind of overwhelms the look I'm going for. If I get really ambitious, I'll incorporate some different type of leaves.

Mark A - the wood is white birch. I typically use yellow or white as the wood takes oil well and gives it a golden brown color.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Bartster
    replied

patrick,

very good job on leaf work, i like the effect it has on the woodspirit.

bart

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied

Patrick:
    Very nice job on the woodspirit,keep them coming.What kind of wood did you use?

Leave a comment:

• slivers&dust
    replied

nice work Thumbs Up I like him

Leave a comment:

• mark yundt
    replied

Yes Patrick,, I see a shift in your carving,the style, technique,finish,composition,,nicely done!Besides the frustration ( it's a good thing,,you're being challenged!) did it feel different ,or your experience of your carving seem different with this piece. As I said the frustration is a good thing,,that's how you strengthen your "carving muscles".Just like lifting weights,,if you never increase the weight ( frustration) you'll never get stronger.You just added weight to your carvings.You've probably learned more here than you realize.Good job!

Leave a comment:

• doris
    replied

hi patrick. what a lot of work with these many leaves. and they really do look like leaves. very well done. i particular like the upper part of his face, how the leaves accentuate the shapes of brow, and nose, or rather it is more that the nose is made from a leaf. this i like very much, nice design, and nice carving...

Leave a comment:

• wade clark
    replied

I met this fella in '63. He lived near the railroad, as I recall...would have froze to death if it wasn't for a deep pile of leaves.... Nicely done!
    Wade

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    started a topic Leafy Woodspirit

Leafy Woodspirit

I got inspired by one of the threads Mark had started showing how to carve leaves. Well this is my first ever carving with leaves. I overlapped oak leaves onto this woodspirit for a different effect. He is made of birch and standing over 4 ft. I must say, carving leaves takes time. Next time I will spend more time sanding them to get a smoother effect.
    Patrick
Working...
X