Barn Project (revised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Project (revised)

Here is the Barn Project after I worked on it this afternoon. I tried to do like Susan suggested and round the area between the barn and silo and also straightening out the top ring.

Also I included my next project that Ash burned out for me with a laser. I think the one on the right is the one that I actually carve and the left one is the master pattern. Correct me if I am wrong Ash that is the way I lined them up. The master pattern has all the detail burned so I can feel like the trusses under the water trough and windows etc. My job is to make it look to you like it feels to me. This one is going to be a great challenge to me and I can't wait to get started. I will post more pictures as I progress.

By the way I should mention these are both carved from spanish cedar. Also the first time I ever carved this wood.

Re: Barn Project (revised)

My goodness those projects are incredible! I am amazed and impressed. I love the barn scene and I like how you undercut the silo. Great effect.

Greg

Comment

Ron,
      Your are correct. The first was a simple pattern , so there was very little detail. The second is an extreamly detailed carving so to help Ron understand what was taking place , I did a 3-d laser carving which I did a lot of texturing to allow him to feel the changes in the carving. I also wanted him to have a lot of freedom to do what ever he chose to do, so the master has seperate levels, and depths , combine with textures to give him an understanding of the orginial drawing which Susan so willingly supplied.

Then using a piece of 2 inch spanish cedar I did an elevated line pattern for Ron to carve.

Ron,
      The first did great , please keep me posted on progress, and if you hit a snag , call me so we can make any changes we need to on the next project. They did not show up yet , but everyone knows to watch for them . So we can get started as soon as they get here.

Garry

Comment

Ron, your ability to see and produce with your hands is a true gift. And Ash, it is so admirable that you can coraborate to get the patterns defined so well.

Al

Comment

Ron, wonderful project indeed and you can do it! I agree with Al "it is so admirable that you (Ash) can coraborate to get the patterns defined so well." Al I couldn't have said it better so I hope you don't mind me quoting you.
          Will check back often to see your progress Ron. Way to go!
          Kathy

Comment

ron,

great work cant wait to see the others when done.

bart

Comment

Hi Gang,
              Spoke with Ron yesterday had a real long chat it is nice to hear him in such good spirits. BTW just so that you are informed Ron has finally lost his vision completly. The small window that he had is now gone. He knew it was coming but I dont think that you can ever prepare yourself for the final outcome. But he is really excited about the new patterns that Ash has sent to him. He can wait to get started on them. He has also been in touch with another gentleman that is completly vision impaired who is a cabinet maker. (Something Ron did before he lost his vision}. He wants Ron to work with him on putting his relief carving onto the cabinets. I would love to see the finished product that these two come up with. The is an old saying "Through adversity to the stars" I think this sums it up in one sentence. I also think that we should applaud Gary for his efforts with Ron these burnings do not come cheap and not to mention the time it takes to do one. Gary you are a great human being and your efforts will come back to you two fold in other ways I am sure.
              Look forward as you are to Rons new adventures
              Colin
              Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
              Jackson, MS

Comment

Thanks all for the nice comments, but all I did was give a bit of time, to help a fellow carver with a problem. Something many of you do everyday.

Now to the professional that sent the blocked address e-mail to Ron. Your entitled to your opinion, but I suggest if your not interested in the work Ron is doing don't look.
                But for those of us that likes Ron work , it is a pleasure to see his posting of his work, and skill.

Comment

Ron, you're a real life inspiration to everyone. Thank's for the lift!
                  Dave Brock

Comment

I'm a sucker for old barns. I love photograph them and just snoop around in them. You peaked interest in maybe carving one some day. Thanks for the inspiration Ron.

Comment

I live with depression and sometimes have a hard time keeping my head above water... I look for things to inspire me to continue on... Ron you are and inspiration and Ash you have put into words and work something we all should practice more of... I just hope someday I can carve as well as you do Ron... Thanks for the inspiration

Stryder7(Marianne)

Comment

Nice barn & silo, Ron. That water-wheel millhouse looks to be a serious challenge. Keep us up to date with progress!

Comment

AS usual Ron .. Great job .. How you do it ? I dont know .. Ia'm just glad you do ...
                          Thanks for sharing
                          gene

Comment

Working...
                          X